Sad marimos :(

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by kinezumi89, Nov 28, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Please help me figure out why my marimos are doing so poorly!

I got mine in the group deal a few months ago. One of them was not quite in one piece, so I tied it up with some string. For awhile, that one (hereby referred to as "the small one") was in a 5 gallon with LEDs and the big one was in the 20 long with fluorescent lights. Both received Flourish Comp. When I set up the 10 gallon, the small one moved there.

Neither of them looked very nice - both are kind of brownish and definitely not growing. So I moved them to the 55, where I figured they would flourish with 2x54W T5HOs, daily dry ferts, and injected CO2. However they haven't improved at all, and I think they look a little more brown. The big one started falling apart (losing little tufts) so I tied it up too.

What else can I do to have nice happy green marimos?

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I'm having the same problem with the marimo's I got from the group deal. One of mine has kind of exploded all over lol.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Hmm I wonder if it's somehow related to the way they were grown? Mine started to explode but I tied it up. I tried setting them on top of a rock so they'd be closer to the lights...but then I remember them being "low-light plants." But in both of the lower light tanks they were doing very poorly. :;dk

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I have no idea. I'd love an answer too! I thought I was the only having this problem.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Wow I don't know what the secret is because I just threw mine in and I swear, the very first one I got back in March was the size of a large lemon - I have since propogated it in to 4 smaller pieces and while not round anymore, they are still growing!

I have standard lighting, nothing special and use no ferts....

So I dunno............ Maybe they do better in some water ( hard or soft? ) than others...... I have super hard water here.,...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Mine are doing great. I got them from a lfs.

I thought I read somewhere that they don't do well with ferts.
    I'll try and find the link.

This isn't the link I was looking for but it's a nice read anyway.:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Unfortunately I often forgot to dose the Flourish Comp, so they probably had no ferts more often than they had them :;smack

From our small sample here, it seems like marimos bought in a store have done well, while ones purchased from online aren't doing as well. :;dk

8. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Mine I got off of EBay is growing nicely. I got as a dime size it is now the size of a quarter :). Where the one I got from Petco fell apart two days after getting it.

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Well there goes that idea :p

10. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Mine is sitting in my 2g under a 14watt bulb I bought it from petsmart and it is doing great with every other day dosing of flourish :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  11. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

I've never had a problem with mine and I've never been successful with any plant. I bought 2 golf ball sized ones at Petsmart and now they're baseball sized. They're always green and never brownish. Sometime dark green and I have inadequate lighting (10K T8 above 2ft of water and clouded cover). Fine white sand reflects a lot of light though. One seemed to have cracked open but I just managed to roll it back into a ball without tying it. It seems to have thick roots like trunks in the middle paler in color. And they do self propagate. I see green clumps in my tank that I've rolled into a marble and some small pebble sized ones. Maybe if I wait enough for a bigger patch I can roll it into a bigger ball. I even find small flecks all the time in my filter. At first I thought they were disintegrating and dying but why would they be green? I've now moved them and the little balls into the sump/refugium that has low watt incandescent lighting and they seem to be greener and holding their shape better. I think they like sand and seems to attract ridiculous amounts of detritus. There were even times that I've left them covered in sand and detritus for awhile but they lose their shape that way. They never browned even the parts partially buried in sand and even the flecks inside of the canister filter. To be honest I don't know what a brown marimo looks like.

12. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I got some from Aquamagic a couple of months ago and while they are still nice and green, they haven't grown at all. I have 3 in my 150 and 1 in each of the 5 & 10. No special lighting and just come flourish a couple times a week. Everything else I have gotten from them has grown great for me. Maybe I should break one open to see if it is felt.

13. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe you could try injecting them with a small amount of fertiliser and see how it goes I've heard of people doing that.

I have four marimos two I got from my LFS in the big edge and they are doing well and two I got from online in the other edge and they are doing well too and I don't use fertiliser because of my snails although I do have capped planting substrate one with crushed coral and one with gravel so there is probably nutrients in the water plus the endler poop in the one tank ;)

AmazonPassion pulled a marimo ball back from brown to green but if I remember correctly it took some time.

14. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I have one moss ball in my RCS tank. I don't think it is marimo though. I have it stuck to the side of the tank in an avocado bag. Like the small mesh bags that sometimes pears or peaches or similar come in. The bag is a light green colour, completely inert material, and the moss is growing out through all the holes in the bag. In a month I won't see the bag at all, but it helps the core of the moss stay structured. Just a hint from the fish nut I got my shrimp and plants off!

Also, I attached a suction cup to the bag to hold it on the wall.

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/124134-refugium-freshwater.html

Good morning,

In the link above you'll find information concerning my 40 Marimo Balls and links to more information. In post #1, toward the bottom is my lighting and I leave the light on for the refugiums 8 hours per day. Perhaps increasing your lighting if it's less than what I'm using, may help.

In post #18 within the link lists the Care that I give to the Marimo's.

I've seen information that stated fertilizers for the Marimo's are not necessary, however, it may speed up the growth just a bit.

Too, I keep a filter media bag full of Fluval Peat or Sara Peat Pellets in one of the refugiums and I replace it every 4 to 6 weeks. I do not mind the tannins that go into the tank via the refugium outflow area. IMO, peat is beneficial for the Marimo's (all plants) even though I have no proof to back this up. Peat is great for outdoor plants, so I figure it must be good for aquarium plants too. So far, so good. (all of my water for the 33g long tank, heavily planted, is prefiltered using Peat and I also keep a media bag of peat in my wet/dry filter for this tank)

(Note: I have well water with a pH so high it's off the charts. All of my water for water changes is prefiltered for 5 days for water changes. The addition of peat may have lowered my pH just a bit, but not so much that I have any worries about using it.)

If you have the option to purchase a Marimo in person from a store, do not buy them if they are brown. They should be a dark vibrant green, not brown. My PetCo, has some brown ones that simply look awful. I pass on these! :)

All of the Marimo's that I currently have, I've bought via:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

Ken

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Aww I'm jealous of everyone's healthy marimos! Mine are currently in a tank with two 54W T5HOs, so I don't think lighting is a problem. It sounds like people have been successful with marimos in more "subpar" conditions than mine, so I'm confused why mine aren't doing well. :( Maybe I'll send AP a message and ask what he did to resurrect his marimos.

17. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

I've been using Flourish comp just fine with apple, pond, and mts snails with no problem in 2 of my tanks. The copper in it is negligible and won't hurt 'em :) Although I have seen the jungle you grow without ferts, so whatever you're doing.. keep doing it lol.

18. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I've definitely also used lots of different types of ferts, and I have snails in all my tanks and they're doing fine :) I have 5 nerites in one tank and two in another, so ferts won't hurt your snailies :)

19. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I think he's had his the longest.
    Maybe he can weigh in on this thread and tell us his secret. :)

The fish store where I got my others is ordering a couple more for me.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

The key with marimo balls is using no fertilizers. They are low light, low nutrient algae.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice