Sad little fish or just tired?

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

So I brought my new panda cory home today:;bbqYeah I am happy to have him! He is the first fish I have ever put in a quarantine tank before introducing him into the main tank. The quarantine tank was just set up for him, so I am running it with cycle.
    Question is: He is mainly just resting at the bottom with a few moments of action every so often, but mainly just sitting there. Most of my other fish swam around a fair bit right away. Is it because there's more to do in the main tank? Or they need to get out of the way of others? This little tank he's in is just 1.5 gallons, I put in a small castle for him to hide, two little fake green plants and some smooth rocks. Since it is a new set up there isn't any algae to chew on yet. Could he be bored? Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, pH 7.5. I plan on doing a small water change every day of his isolation. Should I put in a small scoop of substrate from the main tank? That would maybe give him something to look through. Or just leave him be, I wasn't going to feed him until tomorrow. He did have a stressful day so perhaps he is just resting. Thoughts on this? Oh dear, I wanted to ask a simple question and this has turned into a regular story! Sorry about that!:;dk

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

poor baby, he should be much happier when you put him in with his new family.
    did you acclimate him to the q tank?

3. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

maybe hes just lonely :(
    After quartine maybe you could get him some buddies!

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

he's already got the buddies in the main tank :)

5. erk419 Member Member

Panda corys are schooling fish they need to be in a group of 5 or 6. If you get 4 or 5 more youll see him change real quick

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

he's being quarantined, then he's joining other cories. GoGreen is trying to add to an existing cory school.

7. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Well, Meenu you obviously know the history of my Panda fish story, yes I did acclimate him to the Q tank. He does have buddies waiting for him in the main tank indeed, Streifen, the little panda can hardly wait to meet him, as well as two bronze cories. I looked at him just now, he is swimming around more, maybe he just had a rough day, like I thought.
    If I check his water in the morning and the readings are good, could I feed him and leave for the day? I am just wondering how soon to do a water change if he eats and the has some waste in the tank, since it is so small, will ammonia spike that quickly or would he be all right until I can do a water change in the evening?:eek:

8. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think that you will probably be okay until the evening. Especially since you have put cycle in the tank. The cycle should be able to handle the small amount of ammonia that might form.

9. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

jdhef,well, looked at him this morning, he seems okay, and the water is reading good, too. I will feed him a tiny bit before I leave for the day and do a little water change this evening. Thanks for your opinion on this.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

sounds like things are going well, gogreen. :)
    have a good day today, and don't worry about the little guy, it sounds like he's fine.