Sad history

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This has been my history:
March 2019 - 10 gallon cycled tank. 2 mollies and 1 rainbow shark, listened to sales person, regret it, they attacked each other, had to return them, this was when I learned to do lots of research before buying.
Late March 2019 - added guppies 3 (and one 4) at a time every week until I had 10. Guppies poisoned by Walmart ornament not sealed correctly (was boiled and soaked before adding).
Mid April 2019 - Got 2 bettas and 2 mystery snails. FINE for almost one year.
January 2020 - Gave the 10 gallon to one betta and the two snails once the 5 gallon was cycled (because they got fin rot and I needed to separate them) got another mystery snail for the 5g.
March 2020 - Added 6 glowight tetras and a mystery snail to the 10 gallon after the fin rot cleared up , then upgraded to a 20 gallon long for enough room. Watched the tetras for 1 week no problem. Now there's ICH.

If these fish die, I'm done for a while. I will probably just grow my mystery snail collection because they have 10/10 been hardier can't get ICH and they're fun enough to watch, especially at a larger size.

The plan had been The betta, 10 mysterys, 10 glowlights and 6 corys for the 20 gallon Long. To later upgrade to a 40 gallon add more cory's and a school of rummynose tetra. But despite trying my best and doing my research this stuff keeps happening. I feel bad for the fish and I don't want any more to die. Right now it's just even more stress and guilt on top of my ordinary life stress and I think if they do die it'd be best for me and any fish if I wait until I'm much older and my life is better settled. If they live, awesome but not getting anymore, I'll just stick with the fish I have. I do have hope since everyone is eating normally and aside from the 2 I saw with white spots to start, no one else has gotten spots

*I am treating them with heat and water changes, which is the only really invert safe method there is, and with freshly hatched mysteries I'm not willing to risk it since this is the only clutch she's laid that is fertile and the only one I had intentions of raising.*

JJfishes

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, that's some really bad luck there. I think all of us here have gone through some bad experiences. Now as for the Ick (Or Ich, I prefer 'Ick' :)) There has to be a cause for it, this can be due to stress or more commonly a drastic change in temperature, for me, this was adding much warmer water during my W/Cs that caused my tanks to get Ick two separate times. When you do Water Changes do you add room temperature replacement water? Hopefully, you're able to enjoy fishkeeping without all these troubles happening soon.

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JJfishes said:
Wow, that's some really bad luck there. I think all of us here have gone through some bad experiences. Now as for the Ick (Or Ich, I prefer 'Ick' :)) There has to be a cause for it, this can be due to stress or more commonly a drastic change in temperature, for me, this was adding much warmer water during my W/Cs that caused my tanks to get Ick two separate times. When you do Water Changes do you add room temperature replacement water? Hopefully, you're able to enjoy fishkeeping without all these troubles happening soon.
I keep my water at room temperature. I think it may have come with them from the store, possibly. There were a couple days where my heater was having trouble not heating the tank up properly (turned it up) and then it was too much (turned it down) so that is also a good possibility. It has been staying steadily around 86F (30C) during the treatment.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am very sorry about the loss of your pets. I have lost fish and felt like giving up on the trade multple times myself.

Mystery snail babies! Never had that happen, congrats! last year I spent a huge amount of money on rabbit snails, as I read that my loaches would leave then alone, But the snails died within months "sad birtday present" but then I found 2 baby rabbit snails! which I tried to raise, but they died too.

But I'm loving my fish tank now, Put them and other aquarium **** in the past, I recommend you do the same! Because fish tank misshaps happen. You can't take them to a vet for check ups, your lucky if you can find proper care info on them. You can only try to do your best.

New Threads