Sad day for my horse

1. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Today I learned that my mom was going to leave our barn, but this means the horse I was leasing, who I've loved for five years and going, is being taken away from me. Needless to say it's been a very rough day.

So... Cheer me up with pictures/stories of your "ponies" (he was a 17 hand Oldenburg, so I called him a pony to poke fun) and other pets?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That stinks.
    I don't have ponies, but they're very cute!

3. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Aww I'm really sorry.

I don't have any horses either, but I really like them!

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Sorry to hear that :( We don't own horses but the pasture behind us has 6 in it. they are all old, some are partly blind. They come to the fence for carrot snacks quite frequently :)
    Carol

5. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Sorry !

My Grandfather had a horse ranch, so we rode alot when we were younger.

He's gone now and I haven't been on one in years.

But it made for some great memories !!!

6. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Sorry to read this. Why not post pictures of your horse here? Maybe by sharing him with us it will help. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Thanks everyone. He was a good horse... mostly. I prefer to think he wasn't naughty, just misunderstood ;) Good to hear there are some other horse-lovers on fishlore!

Here's a few pictures of Marco:

marcus.jpg photo (2).JPG photo (3).JPG

8. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hey Marco! That's a big horse! He looks like a nice boy!

9. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Nice !!!

10. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Beautiful horse. Is there absolutely no way you can finangle keeping the horse. There has to be some loop hole????

11. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

What a cute face!

12. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone, it's good to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks he's cute hahah (ever seen a horse with a face only its mother could love?).

I wish there was a way I could keep him but I'm a college student with no money- his owner was leasing him to me for free because, frankly, nobody else wanted to deal with him. But with my mom leaving her farm, his owner didn't want to keep the lease going. I wish she would let me take him because it's more of a detriment for her to have to pay for him when nobody is going to want to take lessons on him- she'll be putting money into him and not getting anything out. If she had let me keep him, she wouldn't be doing either ;D.

Maybe she will realize that. I'd like to get my BFF back. But I guess this is all good for our BN Pleco Chester, cause I've been reading A LOT about new fun tank things to do to keep my mind off it!

13. Mrs Fish

Mrs Fish New Member Member

I know just how you feel. I 'looked after' my friend's horse for nearly two years. She got a regular boyfriend and didn't want to spend the time with him, so she handed me the saddle and bridle and Brandy and I spent many happy times together. Then she told me she was going to sell him. I was broken-hearted that I couldn't afford to buy him. It was like saying goodbye to a friend x

14. Abalisa

Abalisa Valued Member Member

Its hard, they really are companions just like dogs. My horse passed away some years back and i still miss her, she was born on my 9th birthday.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

15. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Makes you kind of wonder why we let ourselves get attached, to any animal really. Their life spans are so much shorter than ours (generally, I don't suppose anyone around here owns one of those giant tortoises?) so we know we have to lose them someday, by death or just by some other separation. But, it's better to have had a best friend than never at all. Sorry to hear about your horses as well.

It's been two months today since I found out he wasn't coming back, and it still makes me sad. Sometimes you just have a certain horse you connect to more than any other you've had, you know? Kind of like how people end up (while they don't want to admit it) having a "favorite dog" over the course of their life, or what have you.

My sister and mom have been letting me ride their horses when I come home, so I've ridden maybe five times since April. It's bad for me, since riding is such a passion in my life. But it's kind of hard once you fall out of it to get things organized again.