Sad - Both Mystery Snails Died At The Same Time.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, not really looking for advice, mostly empathy I guess. I had two mystery snails, a gold one named Lord Varys and an ivory named Danaerys (probably not the best names for them, in retrospect lol). They were originally in a 10-gallon tank with my betta Simon but Simon decided their antennae looked delicious so he kept nipping at them - thus Lord Varys and "Dani" got their own two-gallon tank. I put a heater and sponge filter, plants, a hidey-log (which they loved) and all was good for about four months. I did have a scare early on when Varys was floating for about three days without moving, finally he recovered and was all happy again. They were active and exploring, and I think they tried to mate many times - though I think they were both female. Didn't stop them from trying. They seemed to like each other a lot and were often sitting together, sometimes both in the log side by side - so cute.

I fed them veggies frequently (at least 1-2 times per week), zucchini was a favorite - Dani may have loved zucchini more than she loved Varys. They had a calcium block in the water that they occasionally snacked on. I tried snello but they didn't like it.

Over time they did seem to slow down, not as active. I changed their water frequently, probably 40% 2x per week because it could get yucky, but water parameters always kept well - low everything. They lived in conditioned tap water (bc the 7.4 ph was better for them).

About a week ago I noticed they seemed "off," tucked inside their shells and not paying attention to the fresh zuchinni I had put in there for them. About three days ago I came home from work and Varys was obviously dead - all of his "stuff" hanging out and when I picked him up to check he just flopped out, also stinky. So sad. I took him out of the tank and checked all the parameters and did a large water change, just in case. But I was still worried about Dani because she hadn't moved for days. I smelled her and she didn't smell great - like bad breath maybe, but not horrible. So I didn't know what to do - I mostly left her alone, put a new zucchini in next to her and waited. I was pretty sure she was dead too but didn't want to take her out until I was sure.

This morning I took her out again to put her in the plastic container cup with shallower water to see if she would start coming out and um, (sorry this is graphic) when I lifted her out of the water, her whole insides slipped out of the shell and fell into the water, with some black gunk still in the shell, and high-holy stench.

So...they both died, probably at the same time. I don't know why. I don't think they were too old, and weird that they both died at the same time. I keep replaying recent water changes, water conditioner, etc., and sure I did everything the same as usual. I guess feedback is okay though I'm not planning to keep mystery snails again. Tank life doesn't seem to suit them, at least in my experience and my daughter's. They start out all happy and move all over the place, exploring, being goofy and launching themselves off the sides to fall down through the water (must be fun for them!), but then they gradually stop moving as much and then slowly...just...die. I'm sure many of you have happy healthy mystery snails, so I don't mean to say it isn't possible, I just feel too sad to have more. I wasn't planning to have any, I just got them as pals for my betta and he didn't like them so I became the unwitting caretaker to a separate snail tank.

Anyway...I buried them outside next to a rose bush, snuggled together because that's how they always were, with a nice piece of zucchini tucked in with them - just because.

Thanks for "listening," I appreciate it. I hate it when pets die, and I'm sure something I did caused their demise or they wouldn't have both died at the same time.

Oh - follow up question - over time several little volunteer snails came in with various plants and now I have about 7-8 teeny tiny little snails in that tank. I don't want to keep the tank heated and filtered and maintained for the little pond snails (I think that's what they are). I don't want to kill them though...and I don't want to put them in with my betta just in case it was some kind of parasite or disease that killed Varys and Dany (I did see tiny white little bugs swimming around from time to time but I read up on those and they are supposedly harmless).

Thoughts on the teenies, i.e. what to do with them?

Thanks!
-Stacia

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm sorry for your loss. I had a similar sudden-snail-death when I moved my ramshorns and literally all 5 of them died within a week (but my nerite was and is perfectly fine?). It's always hard to lose a pet and you burying them like that is so sweet.

As for the little pond snails- there are a few options. You don't necessarily need a heater for them and you can keep them without a filter (I have a snail bowl with just so dang many of them, I put my decaying/dying plants in there for them to eat). Getting rid of them may be difficult because usually when you see 1 theres 10 you don't yet. That being said you could possibly give them to someone with a fish that eats snails- such as a pea puffer.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! I appreciate your response! I will keep the teenies for a bit longer in the snail tank til I decide what to do. It’s strange but I keep going over to that tank to “check” on the mystery snails to see how they are but...not there. Ah well.

I’m sorry about your ramshorns, that must have been a really sad shock to lose them all at once like that.

Thanks again,
Stacia

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry for your loss, I've gotten mystery snails before but I've never had luck with them. They always passed away after a month or so (I put them in my shrimp tanks).

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for your ordeal. Sweet of you to give them a burial.

The pond snails do not need a heater. I never have one with mine. They would benefit from a filter but you could also just change the water frequently.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom