Sad Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by poefox, Apr 6, 2006.

1. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Is my betta moping? Do they mope? He was so curious and interested in stuff before. Now he spends a lot of his time either near the duckweed, sadly looking up at it it seems, or else in a little cave he made for himself between two other plants and some larger rocks. Now and then he swims around, and if just the tank lights are on he'll menace his reflection for a bit, but he's just sort of moping for the most part. He does respond to being fed.

2. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes Bettas can get depressed or mope. I don't know why this would happen though... Let's see if chickadee has any ideas...

3. OP
    OP
    p

poefoxWell Known MemberMember

And today he seems fine, this morning at least, he's actively swimming around the duckweed again. Weird fish.

4. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Bettas are very susceptible to depression for some reason. I have never read that anyone knows why, it just seems to happen. Maybe it is just one of their traits and we just have to baby them through it. When my little guys act that way, I try to do something just with them. (hand feeding, scratching at the glass when they are near, just letting them know they are the center of attention and I am paying attention to only them) Do this whenever you think of it or whenever you are near the tank and let him know he is not alone and nobody loves him. They have been so solitary I really believe they don't have a normal life at all. They get much closer to us than to other fish. I do all kinds of things with mine and will probably be considered ready for the "funny farm" for admitting all of them. I sing to them and talk to them. I put my hand on the glass and sing or talk and after the first few times of it they don't look at me like a nut anymore. Noel and Misty like being sung to. Marty likes me to talk to him. Marty and Noel both like watching television and Misty goes wild when I go into the bedroom where her tank is. I believe they get LONELY and want OUR attention and contact with us instead of other fish all the time. Maybe that sounds odd, but it is the best I can come up with just from my observations. All I know is that since I have started having more personal contact with them, I haven't had anymore real serious mopes.

Rose
    :)

5. OP
    OP
    p

Strange, but what you say makes sense.

I did find this out: he doesn't seem to be as happy when I have the light on for a few hours a day as when it is just the normal cycle of daylight to perhaps ambient room light to darkness. Not sure what that means.

And you're right, I have found that he does respond to me being near the tank. I'll try other stuff, see what he likes. But thanks, i was getting worried!

6. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Fish need 12 hours of light to make enough vitamin D. So with less light, he may not be as happy because he doesn't have enough vitamin D... :eek:

Thanks Chickadee, this one had me stumped! What you said makes total sense. Don't worry, I talk to my fish too... ::)

7. OP
    OP
    p

Not sure where to put this but since we're talking about Betta moods, can anyone explain his fascination with the duckweed? He's always fussing with it, and actually somewhat annoyingly prefers to be fed near it, which means he sometimes can't immediately find the pellets.

8. chickadee

Sorry to say, if he is obsessed with it to the point of it interferring with eating, it could mean getting rid of some of it or letting him know that the food is only going to be outside of the duckweed. they do make food corrals. It keeps the food corralled in a small circle instead of letting it spread all over the tank. He would have to come up under the corral to eat and find the food there. I believe then even if it floated under the duckweed it would move it aside and the food would be out of the way where he could find it. I got Misty trained to eat at one corner of the tank and Noel knows he has to come to the door of the tank. Is there any chance of teaching him to hand feed? He needs to learn that the food is only going to be at a certain place and no where else.(and they are perfectly capable of that even though they are also perfectly capable of being very stubborn about it - it can be test of wills - but if you want to be sure he is eating maybe you will have to let him get a little hungry so he will come out from under the duckweed looking for food)

Believe me this is not cruel. I would never ask you to be cruel to your betta, but this is how you can be sure he is eating all you give him. Hand feeding is the only way you will ever know and to do this you have to train him to eat at the same place every time. He will do this.

Let me know how it goes.

Rose
    ???

9. OP
    OP
    p

Thanks Rose. I am glad you added that bit about cruelty--I wouldn't perhaps be accepting of that from just anyone but I know that you like most here love your fish. I'll give the hand feeding a try.Amazing how stubborn a betta can be.

10. chickadee

with 3 on my hands don't I just know it. :D :eek: :p ::) LOL (but I love them anyway)

Rose
    :)

11. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

My brother's betta does the same thing, and I was reccomended to put the betta in a 10 gallon tank with a couple of corys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice