Sa Cichlid Tank.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Zaf, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Zaf

ZafNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So I've got a 5ft 100g tank with 5 angels (top of the tank) 3 young Geophagus,(bottom) l333 pleco(invisible) and I'm currently homing 5 young Dennison barbs which I'm thinking of re homing if I can think of a way to catch them.
    I do love the Dennison barbs but they don't quite work with my loose SA themed tank.

So my main question is I would love to add an Electric Blue Acara.

Is my biolode going to be too much in this tank with keeping the barbs and adding the EBA.
    At the moment most fish in the tank are young. I'm not sure how it's going to be when they all reach full size.

2. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,299
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi there,
    5 Angelfish will do in a 100 gallons. However, Geophagus will do much better in shoals of 6 but I think 3 will be okay.

Angelfish get around 6 inches a pop and depending on the species geophagus get around 8 inches.
    What are your tank dimensions?

3. OP
    OP
    Zaf

ZafNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi,
    5ft x18"x 21"h
    I had the tank custom made and requested a bit of extra height than normal for the Angels.
    I'm now wishing I'd gone 6 ft.
    geo species possibly Rio Branco.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,085
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    At the moment, I see no problem with adding a single EBA. This hybrid does seem to be less aggressive than the normal Blue Acara. I'd say you have plenty of room for such a minor increase in the bioload. If you can still get another Geo of the same type, I would consider adding one or two. Uncertain which species groups are from Rio Branco. If it is an undescribed they usually show affinities to a known species group, which allows you to determine possible max size and the needs of the fish. A photo might allow others to make suggestions. And I always like t0 see photos of Geophagus, anyway!:woot:

5. OP
    OP
    Zaf

ZafNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks for the reply Cromedome, I don't need to be asked twice to show a photo of my fish! Unfortunately Im having trouble with the file size and Im supposed be going to work. Will try later.
    In Australia here its called a Red Horserace. Very similar I think to a Suranamensis. Im very new to SA Cichlids so learning on the hop.

Thats good news about your thoughts on the stocking levels. I would love to add a couple more to the GEO group but they already look a little cramped in there. Not sure though. I will upload a pic later of the entire tank to get your thoughts.

But while I have you since I got the Geos I had a young SEA which disappeared without a trace. I figured he might have jumped out and I couldn't find his body under the stand.
    This morning I find the half eaten body of one of my pricey juvenile Dennison Barbs! I know Geos are classed as semi aggressive but are they likely to take out these two fish?
    Both of which seem to have a habit of sleeping on the substrate where the Geos prowl.

My water quality is good so Im pretty certain they didn't just up and die. Any thoughts?

I will work on the photo thing.

Attached Files:

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,085
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think sometimes Geos get a reputation as non aggressive, but some species actually can be predatory. It would not surprise me to find that the Geos got hold of the barbs. From your photo, the size difference certainly would make that a possibility.

Did a little research on the Geo species Rio Branco, appears to be a fairly common species down under, meaning probably not too difficult to breed. It isn't widely known here in the US. I'm still looking for more inf0, but it does look to be a potentially quite large species. From what I have found, I don't think you need to add more of them.