Sa Cichlid For Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nailroth, Apr 10, 2017.

1. N

Nailroth New Member Member

Hey, I have a roughly 60 gallon tank. messurements are around a standard 55 gal tank, not as tall but far wider.
    Currently it is stocked but i'm looking for a change for it. I have a smaller tank sitting empty that ill move current stock into if i the new fish won't fit the current stock.

I'm looking for a fish that reaches a average size of around 6-9"

I have looked at Andinoacara pulcher. But the information about their size is all over the place from 3-9" And as i have no personal experience with this fish i don't know the average size of them.

I only have personal experience with Pterophyllum scalare and Cleithacara maronii.
    Pterophyllum scalare
    in my opinion need a taller tank then i have. I feel 24-25" is minimum height for a tank for these beauties.
    Cleithacara maronii I think is a bit to small. maximum size of 6" but i have not seen one bigger then my current massive male at 4" the ones i have kept in the past have had an average of 3.5" for males and 2.5-3" for females.

These messurements are not exact as i have just done some translation from cm in my head

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I'm not going to refer to the fish with their scientific names because that's going to take forever.

I believe that the Blue Acara reaches generally 7-9 inches making it a good option for your tank. Because it's the right sized fish you're looking for and it's quite colorful.

As for angelfish the most minimum I would keep them in is a 20 inch tall tank. Which means that a 24 inch would work great for these fish.

Keyhole Cichlids are one of the most docile Cichlids out there. They make a good addition to a SA community.
    They reach 6 inches in general.

Do you have any other fish in mind?

3. OP
    OP
    N

I don't have any other fish in mind as i have been quite focused on just angels in the past as i bred them. I also took a dip into keyhole cichlid breeding. In my opinion 24" is the minimum for angels so they are also out. Only fish i know i want is Astronotus ocellatus (oscar cichlid) but i don't have space for a tank large enough for them. Ill get them in a few years when i can find a bigger apartment.
    It seems the keyhole cichlids around here are smaller then were you are from. My breeding pair i have had now for about 5 years is no were near that size. My male is massive at around 4" They are a good looking fish but right now i have 1 breeding pair and a few unpaired ones in the tank but the tank looks really empty so thats why im looking for something bigger for the tank and ill move them back to their old tank were they fit more perfectly.

4. Ed204

So, do only you fish you want are the Blue Acara and the Keyhole Cichlids?

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The blue acara is a good option. What about a green terror (aka gold saum)?

What other fish do you have in there right now?

6. Ed204

If you keep a Green Terror for life it can exceed 10 inches and even possibly 12. However, even though the females are smaller I wouldn't keep a GT in anything smaller than a 75 gallon.

Even though it might work at first,once the GT matures not only is it going to get cramped but since cramped fish are agressive fish the GT will make its life purpose to terrorize everything else in the tank.

How about a FireMouth Cichlid instead? They only get up to 6 inches a pop and display beautiful colors (with the proper care of course)

7. vikingkirken

I assumed that "far wider than a 55" meant more than 12" front-to-back... But yes, in a standard 55, I would probably stick with a female.

Nailroth, do you have the tank dimensions? Cm or inches, either way!

8. Ed204

Goo to hear that we agree then.
    Yes, what are your tank dimensions?

9. OP
    OP
    N

Tank demensions are 110x45x45 cm. roughly 43x17x17" give or take an inch
    I'm not considering keyhole cichlid for the tank per say. i do have 4 in the tank at the moment but i'm 90% sure ill move them back to their old tank that sits empty at the moment. But i might keep if it works.
    I have only really looked at blue acara since i have seen a few ones in pictures and they look interesting but they do have an issue though, they are really rare unless you go for the electric blue and i only want wild colors.
    Firemouths are an option they are common there is just one problem that ill have to look into with them, as they are CA finding CA dither fish can be a problem. Keeping a single fish where i am from is illegal, all pets except dogs and cats needs to have company besides you.
    If i don't find another cichlid that will fit ill increase the group of keyholes i have and probably get some new Laetacara dorsigera cichlids for the empty tank. or some other bigger dwarf cichlid.

10. vikingkirken

A single green terror (gold saum) with a school of giant danios would be an awesome tank :) The terror is gorgeous, and the danios are so graceful. I think that would work in your tank, particularly if you stick with a female.

You could also look into sajicas, festivums, or rainbow cichlids. The sajicas and rainbows are CA, but not quite as aggressive as say, convicts. So you might be able to fit in a small school of larger, fast dithers like rainbowfish or giant danios.

11. OP
    OP
    N

Maybe a terror can work if i can find a good tetra that will work with it. Danios don't work as they are an asian fish. I keep fish based on region togheter and if possible even from the same river system in the wild. Perhaps i need to go with something smaller then a green terror as tetras that work with them needs to be quite large and that forces me to have very few of them and that don't look very nice i prefer big schools of tetras/danios. In my old comunity tank i had 8 angels and 130 black neon tetras. looked so sweet.
    I saw Sajicas and was interested until i saw that they are about the same size if not smaller then keyholes.
    It seems i either need to stick to keyholes and just up my group to maybe 6 and increase my tetra count and it might look nice. hopefully another 30-40 tetras might bring the keyholes out from their hiding spots more.

12. Ed204

How about if you keep the Blue Acara instead? Not only is it less agressive and smaller than the GT but I think it displays better color than the GT.

If you decide to go with the Blue Acara you can keep it with other cichlids such as the FireMouth Cichlid. Also you could go for schooling fish like the diamond Tetras.
    So this is my stocking suggestion:
    1x Blue Acara
    1x FireMouth Cichlid
    8-10x Diamond Tetras

13. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure where you are looking but keyhole cichlids don't typically get larger than about 4 inches. Make sajicas regularly reach 5 inches. If you are keeping three keyholes in there though I'd stick with another docile cichlid like a pair of rainbows or a small group of bandits. If you were moving the keyhole then I'd consider something like an eb Jack Dempsey or maybe a blood parrot as the centerpiece

14. OP
    OP
    N

EB Jack dempsey and blood parrot are out of the question. they are not found in the wild so not my type of fish. The bandit cichlid is it Guianacara geayi or the Amatitlania nigrofasciata?

The rainbows i would not put with keyholes as they are CA while keyholes are SA. CA cichlids are quite hard for me to keep as i don't want the tank to look empty with just like 2 fish and getting some good dither CA fish can be hard while in SA you can get 2-3 cichlids and then fill out the tank with some dithers and perhaps some corries.

ED204 if i would go with your stocking i would remove the firemouth as it's a CA cichlid while the blue acara is SA and probably up to two blue acaras and find some good tetras that i like and won't get eaten.

15. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Guianacara geayi is the bandit, nigrofasciata is a convict.

16. OP
    OP
    N

Thats why i prefer the latin name of fish and not the common name. When i searched on google for Bandit cichlid the Guianacara showed up but on the side the Nigrofasciata also showed up as it's sometimes called bandit cichlid aswell. It is one common name in Swedish. not pronunciated the same way but spelled exactly the same.
    I guess a group of those would be cool, ill look into if i am able to get a hold of them.

I have one last question about Blue acara. What size tetras can go with it without being eaten, is the black neon tetra large enough or do you need something bigger?

17. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Black neons should be fine. Very underrated fish IMO

18. vikingkirken

Guianacara are often overlooked because they lack the flashy coloring of some other cichlids. But the white with black stripe(s) is quite dramatic, and they have spangling that doesn't show up well in photos. They also have awesome personalities, as I am finding out with my group :) I love watching them drag leaves around the tank, dig in the sand, and chase each other around (gently). Everyone I read of who keeps them says the same--that their interesting behavior more than makes up for their lack of bright colors. Just my two cents on my current favorite fish :D

There are several different guianacara species available in the hobby, btw. All fairly similar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice