S-shaped spines

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've looked through some threads and then looked at my fish and realised that about 5/9 of my fry have s-shaped spinnes..is there anyway i can fix this? or will it be a problem?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
"S" shaped spinal cords? Whatever it is, it does not sound good. How long have you had your tank?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The books that I have on Fish Health say that deformities of the spine or other deformities of this type can be painful to the fish as they grow and the fish are usually culled or fed to larger fish as would happen in the wild or euthanised in a humane manner to prevent their suffering. The cause is usually inbreeding or the breeding of two fish too closely related. It may also be a sign of poor water conditions during the initial few weeks of life. While maintaining good environments can reduce the incidence of deformities it cannot stop all the incedents of them if the parents are prone to produce deformed offspring.

I am so sorry not to have a better report for you.

Rose

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
so pretty much they'll...die eventually?
and would it be better to take them out and..flush them down the toilet to rpevent their suffering or should i just let the other fish..eat them?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tamara said:
so pretty much they'll...die eventually?
and would it be better to take them out and..flush them down the toilet to rpevent their suffering or should i just let the other fish..eat them?
Do you have any larger fish that can eat the babies? That's what some hobbyists do to cull them. Don't just flush them. That is a very cruel way to go. You need to euthanize them first.

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
only other fish right now is an albino cory catfish that eats what's dead or the bacteria etc.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom