S.repens And Java Fern Def + Algae Problem.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I got a 4.3 gal cube with a betta. I got an nutrients and algae problem.

Both plants are showing signs of iron def (green veins and pale tissue). I have been dosing 0.25 ml bi-weekly seachem trace and 0.75 ml seachrm co2 daily for three months. When the iron def. became pronounced I started adding 1 ml daily of seachem iron for about a week now. Since the iron was added algae has taken off.
The tank has at 0 levels of nh4, no3, no2 for two months - pH has always been 8.2. Weekly water changes of 1 gal.

Current equip:
Sponge filter
18 inch T5 HO (was timed for 8 hours, I just changed to 4 on, 4 off, 4 on)

Ideas?
Thanks for looking

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Trace isn’t very concentrated and doesn’t have macronutrients, plus you have 0 nitrate so you may have some other deficiencies. Pics would help

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agreed, need some pics here...
Pale growth can be due to a number of things, ca/mg, fe, N, P, co2, etc....
Do you know your kH/gH?
Once you post a picture @SeattleRoy is great at deficiencies.

Be aware that seachem trace is “trace only” (contains iron)
Iron is iron only
Excel is a carbon substitute that helps to keep algae at bay...
Regular flourish comtains the same micros as trace, but with a touch of K. NP In flourish is negligible.
There are also separate bottles for NPK.

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Forgot to add, If I recall from those stupid marineland 6 in 1 strips, KH is 180 and GH is 150 - 300.

SeattleRoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi @Bando,

I agree you appear to need iron. In addition, @-Mak- and @Jocelyn Adelman are correct, it is painfully obvious that your plants need macro-nutrients - especially nitrogen. I took your picture, downloaded it, cropped and enhanced it. Do you see how the leaves (even the new leaves) are pale green almost becoming yellow as they mature? The nutrient deficiency issue is compounded by the high light (18" T5HO); that is a lot of light over a 4.3 gallon aquarium. In order for the plants to be healthy they require a lot of nutrients with that much light.

27981715008_f0c82a9398_b.jpg

In addition to nitrogen you are correct that iron is needed as well as indicated by the leaves of your java fern(s). With a pH of 8.2 most plant iron supplements made with EDTA chelated iron are ineffective. EDTA iron provides less than 10% of its iron at a pH greater than 7.5; even when we have a pH of 7.0 ETDA chelated iron only provides 30% of its iron to our plants. When dosing iron in alkaline (>7.0 pH) only two iron sources are effective; EDDHA chelated iron or ferrous gluconate. Unfortunately EDDHA chelated iron turns water blood red so that leaves ferrous gluconate. There are not many ferrous gluconate iron supplements but fortunately Seachem Flourish Iron is one of those few and it is commonly available.

41134738644_713fd31f6d_b.jpg

I suggest the following:
Continue dosing Seachem Flourish Iron as directed on the bottle
Continue dosing Seachem Flourish Trace as directed on the bottle
Start dosing Seachem Flourish Nitrogen per the directions on the bottle

Don't change anything else, just add nitrogen to your dosing schedule. In two weeks we will re-evaluate your plant growth. What you should see is:
1) the currently existing leaves will not change
2) the new leaves as they emerge (form) should be greener, larger, healthier

Keep us posted as things progress!

-Roy

Bando

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, Roy. That is a great help! I will get some nitrogen and report back.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom