??'s Re: Seeding Filters

tnrsmomma

1. If I want to remove my HOB from my 29g, how long do I need to run my new sponge filters before I can remove the old HOB without crashing my cycle?

2. How long should I run my new sponge filter in an established tank before it will be seeded well enough for a quicker start to the cycle in my new 20L.

3. To seed a sponge fiter or filter media thoroughly, does it have to be actively running or can it just be soaking in the tank?

mattgirl

1. If I want to remove my HOB from my 29 gallon, how long do I need to run my new sponge filters before I can remove the old HOB without crashing my cycle?
At least a full month

2. How long should I run my new sponge filter in an established tank before it will be seeded well enough for a quicker start to the cycle in my new 20L.
Same as above. The amount of bacteria on it will depend on the bio-load in the tank you are using to seed it.

3. To seed a sponge fiter or filter media thoroughly, does it have to be actively running or can it just be soaking in the tank?
It needs to be hooked up and running. It needs to have water pulled through it.

Islandvic

To speed it up, run both the HOB and sponge filter together. Take the media out of the HOB and swish it around in the tank. The sponge filter will slowly draw up the muck and beneficial bacteria sloughed off the media.

Do a WC the day after.

This may speed up the process.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics