S.A. biotope build

1. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I know there are a lot of threads like these. But..... I have a 20 long. I'm not wanting to do a planted or marine tank. I also don't want common community fish. I've done bettas too, so not interested in those either. Other than that, I am open to ideas. Whether it be a single fish, or a few, or a tank full. Right now I'm leaning toward brackish. But would rather keep it fresh water. Any ideas?

2. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Celestial Pearl Danios!

I don't know if you don't want ANY plants... but you could put some very low maintenance ones in there with them to make them feel more comfortable.

Or I have been interested in rice fish as well. Or chili rasboras.

Something like this, by the way http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Is there a particular region of the world you like in regards to fish population? I love asia, for instance, so I would tend to lean towards asian fish. Rasboras, gouramis, etc.

You can look at killifish and catfish, really, with that size tank, there are plenty of options.

4. WolfaraRose Member Member

African Butterfly Species only tank! that's my vote!

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Good ideas. Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Fishboy123 Member Member

Shell Dwellers

7. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I've got a 29 with shellies already.

8. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

So, I got some packages today :) I'm going to make this 20 long a South American dwarf cichlid biotype. I'm going to try and get a trio of Apistos, but may end up with a pair. Trios are a pain to find. Still not sure which species to get, it may come down to what is available. I like them all so I'm not too worried about it.

But for now I have the filter, heater and light for the tank. I got a couple of other lights to replace some old T8's I have on other tanks. I'm going to try and get the filter tubes and back of the tank painted black tomorrow.

I've never done a build thread on a forum, so this is a first for me. Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

And the painting begins. I also included a couple shots of my helper...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Everything has dried and turned out good. I have the manzanita wood, the peat for the filter, the dried leaves for the litter look, and a couple of plants ordered. I now only need the sand, and the fish. I should get all the things I ordered today sometime this week, and I will get the sand locally. So next weekend I should have it set up with water.
    [​IMG]

11. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

You couldn't have a better helper! Bassets are the greatest :clapping:

12. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I have 2, couldn't imagine life without them :)

13. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I had Bassets for years and miss them.

14. Fishboy123 Member Member

Oh I was looking through the puffer forum, South American puffer :) i think it might be able to be in a 20 gallon long

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

So I now have everything but fish. This tank is going on the bottom of a 30 gallon on a metal stand. So I need to get the 30 gallon's filter moved off to the side, and some other fish stuff I have kept under there relocated. Hopefully moving the filter and getting all the cords moved won't be too much of a pain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tend to buy more than I need. I know at some point I will use it. I got some almond bark to help with the black water. Not sure if what I got will make a difference. But I know the peat will. The manzanita will have to be broken up a bit to fit into the tank. I will use the extra branches in another tank. The paving sand is very fine, just like I needed. And I have more than enough leaves to have the litter look.

I also have a couple of plants that I put in another tank for the time being to keep them alive. I got them on Thursday. There is some Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, and some Dwarf Sagittaria. I didn't get any pics of them, and the tank lights aren't on yet.

16. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

No more shots of your helper?

17. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Just got back from a walk. Both of them are sleeping :)

18. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Adam55 Here they are. Not much help right now... :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hey!! great shots! They have to rest a little so they can help later.

20. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

And their idea of help is mostly moral support as opposed to physical :p