Ryunkin Fry Tail Turning Black And Scales Falling Off?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MaxineB, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MaxineB

MaxineBValued MemberMember

I have a 30 gallon tank,with a bushy nose pleco fry,black moor fry, and a ryukin fry. The ryukin is white and about a month ago got really bad tail rot I got her medicine and it went away it just came back she back on the medicine so hopefully she will be fine, but I was wondering if it was normal or if should be concerned that the very end of her tail is turning black and her scales have been falling off her sides and head and where the scales have fell off it looks like fluff or like pieces of cotton balls is growing in it's place. I have her on erythromycin, other then the obvious physical stuff she swims all around the tank and is curious and eats. I was just wondering why her tail is turning black on tips dead tissues maybe? But i have no clue with the scales, Thaks fr any help!

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Please take a few pics and post them here. Also, can you test your water parameters and post the results (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, temp etc)? Also what meds do you have on hand and what did you treat it with?

I'd quarantine the sick one in at least a 5gal tank/bucket with an air stone. A heater isn't needed as goldfish aren't tropical and do better in temps from 60-72 F. I might be able to recommend a treatment once I know what meds you have on hand.

3. OP
    OP
    MaxineB

Ok I will quarantine the sick one tonight, I have the erthromycin,all in one remedy, and ich medication,they have been sick many times but i think it is cause they are from a pet store.

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

2 goldfish and a pleco in a 30 gallon is quite the bioload, though you did say the goldfish are only fry... what kind of filtration do you have? How often do you do water changes? If possible, can you post your water parameters?

5. OP
    OP
    MaxineB

yes water parameters will be posted tomorrow. The pleco is also very small breed he will only be about 5 inches. I can post pictures of the fish, I have a 75 gallon filter n the tank right now and do 70% water changes twice weekly.

6. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like it could be Columnaris or Saprolegnia. You could find pictures online and compare. Erythromycin isn't really effective on Columnaris and not at all against Saprolegnia.

7. OP
    OP
    MaxineB

Green net not water

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    MaxineB

Ok Thank you will do if it is this what kinds of medicine could help if there is any

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

The best option would be to use antibiotics. Usually kanamycin and nitrofurazone in combination or trimethoprim-sulfa are recommended. These usually have to be mail ordered.

Another option is a fungus cure product that contains methylene blue for Columnaris and malachite green for Saprolegnia. It's harsher and less effective but easier to obtain.

Aquarium salt will treat both but the dosage is fairly high (1%).

10. OP
    OP
    MaxineB

ok perfect thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice