Ryukin Stressed And Loosing Slime Coat

1. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Valued Member Member

Its almost 11pm at night all fish stores per stores grocerie stores are closed. I tried running to Walmart to find some aloevera extract only to find the stuff you put on burns (its not gonna help) my new ryukin has been rubbing up against stuff and swimming around in circles at the front of the tank for a day and a half. I've been telling my fiance something isnt right but he said If the other two ryukins are fine hes just trying to adjust to the tank.
    This is the same stuff my other two ryukins did before they got sick and died I noticed it just after the second death and I'm not going through another. I'm sitting here with aquarium salt knowing full well it can stop stress and promote slim coats and get rid of any illness or at least help. I know my other two ryukin are stressed but they arent doing anything but darting from the new ryukin. I can't get my hands on anything tonight but if I dont do something now it might end up being too late. Last time we dosed the entire tank with the salt everything survived including our pleco who wasnt harmed at all.....but there is a chance that my pleco might not make it a second time. I do have a 15 gallon I can put him in if I could find the bugger......but I need to dose the tank. Should I take this chance again I cant handle loosing my new ryukin. I'm literally running out of time.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

What size tank, filter type, and current stock? You'd have to dump a whole bunch of salt in a tank to kill a fish. In my experience in my own tanks, and the tanks at my store, salt will not cure anything besides external parasites (sometimes, not all the time). Salt will produce slime coat just like any water conditioner will, which I assume you have. If you have to use salt, don't add it to the tank, do salt baths. When freshwater fish are exposed to high levels of salinity for long periods of time, it's just going to stress them out further and create an overactive slimecoat. It simply will have little to no effect on bacterial infections, internal parasites, water quality, and most fungal infections. I'd suggest identifying the disease, which I know can be hard, and treat it with real medication. It sounds like whatever this is has been living in your tank since your other two had it.

3. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Valued Member Member

I did the salt dose last night and actually all my fish survived and I just did a water change everything survived in my 50 gallon. My ryukin souji is no longer doing the things he was. Hes picking at the substrate and schooling with the other two.