Question Rust Color On Blue Velvet Shrimp

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone.

A few of my Blue Velvet shrimp are starting to developed a rusty color on them. They are about 5 months old.

I'm hoping they are getting close to a mature breeding age. Is this normal or a sign something may be wrong?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are they the only types of shrimp in the tank? If not they could be turning to the wild/natural brown that happens from cross breeding

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes only species in the tank. They are all from one batch of eggs. The mother died a couple days after they hatched.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you catch one of the worst put him in a glass and take a closer photo, its looks like it could be
Rust spot or black spot disease both the same it's just a different name, the one that died did she have pitting or holes in the shell

Edit iv'e just looked on my big computer and believe what your looking at are the intestines of the shrimp the rust colour showing because of the colour of the shrimp, it dosnt look to be pitting which rust spot dose
still have a close look to see if there's is pitting

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you catch one of the worst put him in a glass and take a closer photo, its looks like it could be
Rust spot or black spot disease both the same it's just a different name, the one that died did she have pitting or holes in the shell

Edit iv'e just looked on my big computer and believe what your looking at are the intestines of the shrimp the rust colour showing because of the colour of the shrimp, it dosnt look to be pitting which rust spot dose
still have a close look to see if there's is pitting
Thanks for the reply! The one that died was the mother of all the shrimp i have now. I bought 4 blue velvets originally and I was just starting with shrimp. I think my inexperience and the non cycled tank I put them in is what ultimately did them in. They all died but I was able to quickly learn how to raise up the babies.

That was about 4-5 months ago. I haven't had any die since then. I have not introduced any new shrimp or anything to the tank and i keep regular maintenance.

Only a few of the shrimp have these rust colored spots and each located on different spots of the body. I will get one in a jar for closer photos!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I dont think its rust spot as this colouration seems to suggest it with blues so I dont think theres anything to worry about but can have a closer look if you want, the one that died would have died of shock but you were lucky to have young before that and they were acclimatised straight to the tank so these young are now the start of your colony which is great . If you look at this drawing you can see what you are looking at, the stomach may change colour depending on what they eat

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dont think its rust spot as this colouration seems to suggest it with blues so I dont think theres anything to worry about but can have a closer look if you want, the one that died would have died of shock but you were lucky to have young before that and they were acclimatised straight to the tank so these young are now the start of your colony which is great . If you look at this drawing you can see what you are looking at, the stomach may change colour depending on what they eat
Great that's for the info! I didn't get a chance to get a better picture anyways today due to a long day at work.

And come to think of it I changed their diet a couple weeks ago with a new type of shrimp pellet. It would fit the timeline of when I started noticing the changes!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's good to know about the food change, all the pieces fit together, if you have concerns come straight back and if one dies take a photo of him in the tank, but hopefully they'll just die of old age

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom