Runt Platy Fry

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought i had 2 different ages of platy fry in my tanks, as i had 1 or 2 tiny tiny ones (i had two pregnant females in the tank). One of the tiny ones i moved with 3 other regular sized ones to my sons tank as the only fish in it.

The small runt still has not grown though the regular sized ones have.

Anything i could do to help him out? Why doesnt he grow? Hes active, though super shy and doesnt group with the other 3.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I moved all but 1 fry into the same tank, including another tiny one... but the little one still has failed to grow. The other tiny one has even grown. But not the runt.

I moved just the runt back to the main tank, with the lonesome sibling. Either he makes it there with less competition or he doesnt and ends up a snack for the danios.

Its sad, but i think this may be the best chance for him. Im unsure why hes so stunted. He doesnt really look as nice and healthy as his siblings either. Stunted, thin, slightly hunched spine you can see inside him... all his siblings have started getting colour, he has not.

Almost 3 weeks old.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feeder fish
Its cold, but it may be the kindest option if he fails to thrive. Hes in my large tank with zebra danios, a male platy, and a dwarf gourami who will eat him if they can catch him. So either he makes it or not. I feel its better than slowly withering away. Hes got more food to himself but he needs to hide well if he is to live.

That said, i havent seen him since i seen him vanish into the hornwort when i put him in. Ive seen his single sibling eating algae off the filter intake a couple times, but not the runt. So who knows.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom