Runny nose tetra sick?

Wesley801
Hello fish folks
This is my first time posting on fishlore. I’m really worried about one of my 5 runny nose tetras which seems to be sick. I’m cycling my new 20 gallon blackwater aquarium with 5 runny nose tetras since I have all the test kits making sure everything is relatively safe. I brought 6 brilliant rummy nose tetras 3 days ago. One of them died on my way back home due to extremely cold weather , one looks listless but was still hanging on and the other 4 recovered pretty well and were all doing surprisingly well so far. The one that wasn’t doing so well looks stagnant and sometimes doesn’t follow the school or barely catch on with others. I spotted something sus on its grill so wonder if his grill was infected on the journey back home. I have only fed them one time and they were all crazy to eat. No white spot or other anomalies were spotted besides him being stagnant(sometimes he sleeps alone at night while the others schooling or sleep really close). I have no experience with fish grill diseases before so I really wish someone would help me out. Do I need to remove him from the tank immediately quarantine or do I need to treat all my fish with medicine of some kind to prevent them infected as well? Any suggestions are really appreciated. There are photos down below

Attachments

• D89AECBD-848A-41C8-A8E7-EDACAC6B135E.jpeg
    D89AECBD-848A-41C8-A8E7-EDACAC6B135E.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 31
  • C02B5EB4-DD20-440C-AE45-C1D43BA0D02D.jpeg
    C02B5EB4-DD20-440C-AE45-C1D43BA0D02D.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 6E885ABD-2149-415E-B612-A0C32DE25343.png
    6E885ABD-2149-415E-B612-A0C32DE25343.png
    311.9 KB · Views: 35

Advertisement
Wesley801
Sorry for misspelling I’m bad at using electronic devices

Advertisement
Pfrozen
Hi and welcome! You have a beautiful tank

I'm not seeing anything wrong with those gills... what specifically are you seeing that is causing concern? Perhaps just some slight redness?

Also, what do you consider relatively safe? doing a fish-in cycle is fine but you will need to keep on top of your water changes. You want to keep ammonia and nitrite readings below 1 ppm combined. Nitrates will not appear until your cycle nears completion, so don't worry about those for now. So, for example, if you're reading 0.25 ppm nitrites and 0.5 ppm ammonia then the combined total would be 0.75 ppm. I would do a water change in that case so it doesn't rise above 1 ppm

Wesley801
Hi and welcome! You have a beautiful tank

I'm not seeing anything wrong with those gills... what specifically are you seeing that is causing concern? Perhaps just some slight redness?

Also, what do you consider relatively safe? doing a fish-in cycle is fine but you will need to keep on top of your water changes. You want to keep ammonia and nitrite readings below 1 ppm combined. Nitrates will not appear until your cycle nears completion, so don't worry about those for now. So, for example, if you're reading 0.25 ppm nitrites and 0.5 ppm ammonia then the combined total would be 0.75 ppm. I would do a water change in that case so it doesn't rise above 1 ppm
Thank u so much for your reply!

The photo doesn't show it clearly. I'm concerned not only because one of its gill is redder than other fishes' but also because it is significantly more sluggish than others and during night he rests on his own, away from the school. Also I noticed its gill won't close as tightly as other fishes', showing more dark red or pink color on the gill. Sometimes when it's swimming away from me I can clearly see its gill on one side opens more than the other side. I do think its gill is getting worse. I tried to get a photo of it but it was really blur. I can try it on some other time. I'm really worried if it's contagious.

I feed them little meal one time per day and they were all very eager to eat. They are pretty active during day time schooling around vigorously and seems like they are really having a good time( When I'm not too close to the tank) although their full body color hasn't recovered yet.

My nitrite reads between 0.025ppm and 0.1 ppm, I think it's about in the upper middle which is 0.06-0.08ppm nitrite. The ammonia reads about 0.05-0.07 ppm. Adding them up I got only 0.11-0.15ppm total nitrite and ammonia if I did the test correctly. I fed them lightly and it has only been 4 days since I introduced fish. Maybe the food leftover or fish waste hasn't fully broken down yet. There are some bubbles that won't pop on the surface and oil film too showing there are some organic wastes I guess.

I'm doing small amount of water change everyday and making sure any concentration won't get too high.
Temp: 25C- 27.5C( fluctuates depending on whether window is open or closed)
Ph: 6.5-7 (Can't tell the specific number)

Any more information or a better picture can be provided if needed.

Thx pal!

GlennO
Probably not the ideal species for a fish-in cycle but in any case it may not have anything to do with that. If one of them died due to transport conditions it's highly likely that the others were severely affected as well, with one of them being possibly permanently incapacitated. Just my thought. It may be best to euthanise it if it doesn't show any improvement within a day or two.

Wesley801
Probably not the ideal species for a fish-in cycle but in any case it may not have anything to do with that. If one of them died due to transport conditions it's highly likely that the others were severely affected as well, with one of them being possibly permanently incapacitated. Just my thought. It may be best to euthanise it if it doesn't show any improvement within a day or two.
Thank you! I’m thinking the same thing. Sacrificing it might be the best option rn since I do not have a quarantine tank. It’s just the fact that it’s eating and swimming just fine during daytime making me feel unease to kill him but I will see.

Pfrozen
It sounds like you're using a high quality test kit if you can measure 0.05.. what brand are you using?

If those levels are accurate then you are already doing everything you should be. My guess is that your one fish is suffering from a damaged gill cover and possible burns on the gill itself. Either your tank had a large spike in ammonia/nitrite or it was kept in poor quality water at the store or it spent too long in transit. Like I said though, your water is okay right now if those levels are accurate

I personally think this fish could pull through but you'll have to continue to stay up on your water quality. You already have water rich in tannins so that is good for the fish right now. I recommend adding one or two alder cones for anti-bacterial properties... not enough to alter your pH though, you don't want to mess around with your parameters too much during a cycle. An Indian almond leaf will be beneficial instead if you want

Good clean water and good nutrition are key here

Let us know if you have any questions

Wesley801
Thank you Pfrozen

For both ammonia and nitrite I used a Chinese product without an English name. I'm living in Beijing rn that's why. Now I have kept fish both in the US and China and I found that Chinese aquarium fish products sometimes surprise me with really low price and good functions.(US products are promising too just a little bit pricy)

I think the issue is most likely due to transportation. I will keep track of all water parameters. I have one large Indian Almond leaf that's in a tea bag placing in the back filter since the beginning, and I have a lot of recharges in stock. No big deal! Hopefully he will pull through!

Best wishes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wesley801
Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies