20 Gallon Tank Running up and down the side of the tank?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont really know exactly how to explain it, so I took a vid. I just got her about 3 days ago, and she is in a community tank with 7 (I think) male Guppies, and a female Opaline Gourami. There were only agression problems two days ago, mostly with the Guppies, but there havent been any more signs of it since then. Now she just does this, all day, except when I feed her. Why is she doing that, and is there a way to stop it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ26LlZYt70

bettawaters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She might be settling in to her new surroundings.
Is she showing any other signs of distress?
How bad was the agression a few days ago?
Maybe she isn 't one of those bettas that can be kept in community tanks

bettakeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I dont think that is true bettawaters, Posiedon behaves like that all the time, I always think he loves that one side of the tank or he loves seeing me !! lol! Beucase his tank a bit in the corner he hangs in the place where I can view him!Nothing to be worried about from my side!

Betta_dude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Does it look like she is sort of rubbing her nose along the glass? If so she might me bored, thats a common sign of boredom in fish. try adding some plants and caves ana such.

Or it could be stress. Gouramis are aggressive towards members of they're own species and bettas are very similare, and are actually related to them. She could be trying to get away from it.

You might want to get her a tank of her own.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She might be settling in to her new surroundings.
Is she showing any other signs of distress?
How bad was the agression a few days ago?
Maybe she isn 't one of those bettas that can be kept in community tanks
She has stress stipes, but they come and go. A few days ago, it was just some "Go away!" annoyance at the Guppies and she would chase them a few inches and get over it. The Opaline also felt the need to to show her who is boss a few times, but she does that to every new fish, and she hasnt done it sence, so thats not much of a deal... I do a tank for her if she hasnt settled in a week.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does it look like she is sort of rubbing her nose along the glass? If so she might me bored, thats a common sign of boredom in fish. try adding some plants and caves ana such.

Or it could be stress. Gouramis are aggressive towards members of they're own species and bettas are very similare, and are actually related to them. She could be trying to get away from it.

You might want to get her a tank of her own.
Its more like she's trying to go farther then the tank will let her.

As I said above, there was only a few times that the Opaline bothered her, and thats normal for every new fish I put in, and it hasnt happened since. They are right by each other now, and they are just fine :/

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm starting to think I should set that tank up earlier... Not sure yet. She's not bother anyone, but she's bothering me with this strange behavior :/

azazelsfyre

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly, my boys do weird things too. I have seen them do the same thing, it usually gets better when you switch things around ime, like the decorations and stuff. My one male loves swimming in loops in different parts of the tank, and the other one has his quirks too. I'd move her if the stress stripes dont clear up.

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My betta does that either if he's excited, or he's trying to grab your attention. Oh, and when he thinks you're looking at him! ;D

Finneus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a betta that did the same thing when he got in his ten gallon. He seemed to be able to see his reflection in that one side and would anxiously swim back and forth by it. When I covered that side with a dark scarf he immediately stopped and began exploring the rest of his tank. Try it and see if that helps.

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
10 Gallon Betta tank

My Ebee did that in a 3 gallon tank and it upset me so I moved her into a 10 gallon with lots of things to see and hiding places and she stopped it after an hour or so. To me it looked like anxiety or boredom. She loves her tank now and swims all over it. They are so quirky or Betta friends!!

Attachments

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dunno how she could be bored though. I have only had her for 4 days, and theres almost 3 feet of tank to explore, Guppies to bother, an Opaline Gourami to make mad (not that hard to do, BTW lol), plants, a log, a shelf-thingy...

Heres what the tank looks like:

It doesnt seem like she's seeing her reflection, because I was curious yesterday and held up a small mirror to the tank, and she was competely fasinated by it. Then I took it away, and she started up pushing on the glass again. I put the mirror back up, and she flared at herself XD

I suppose I could put something over that end of the tank. Its not like there is anything fun over there though, it just the wall (as you couldnt probly tell from the akward angel of the video) lol

And she eats ALOT! She knows to go to spot were she eats away from the Guppies when I open the top (it only took one feeding for her to figure that out, the smart little thing), and I feed her a bit extra because its in the flow of the filter, but she chases down every bit of it! Piggie XD

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe she just wants attention? My Cammie does that when someone walks past or sits in the seat by the tank.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But I'm almost always with in 2 feet of tank. Even now. I have a recliner right next to the tank that I sit in when I use my laptop or read (or stare off into space at the tank lol). When she notices me looking, she slows down, or stops, for a second, look at me, then keep doing it. Its so wierd....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom