Running filters and water changes. Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by 2HeadedBoy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. 2HeadedBoy

2HeadedBoy Valued Member Member

Quick question(s).

I use a siphon that connects to my faucet to do water changes. When doing a 25% WC I am able to leave my filters on as the water level does not fall below the intakes. Sometimes, once I get all the old water out of the hose and into the sink, I reverse the flow of the siphon hose and use this to re-fill my tank. I add Prime once the tank is full.

The more I think about it though, filling the tank with untreated tap water with the filters running sounds a lot like rinsing the filter media under the faucet. It is my understand that rinsing the filter media in untreated tap water is a bad thing (chlorine/chloromine bad for BB).

For those of you that leave your filters running during the WC do you:
    1) pre-treat your water in a bucket before adding it to your tank or...
    2) just run the water directly into the tank through your hose?

If you use method 2 listed above, do you add your prime before or after you fill your tank?

Again, this is a question ONLY for those of you that keep your filters on during a WC.

Thank you

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I pretreat the water in a bucket before adding.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would think being diluted by the existing tank water and the de-chlorinator going in so soon your BB shouldn't be harmed much if at all. All the same, I add my prime just before I start to refill, jic.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

In my fw tanks I always just dump dechlor in each tank and then fill directly from the tap.

5. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I leave my filters running and fill from the tap. I put a full-tank dose of prime in each tank before I start filling.

6. OP
    OP
    2HeadedBoy

Ok, thanks guys. That all seems like sound advice.

I did search for this question but I couldn't find it. I found "when to use dechlorinator" and "running filters during a WC" but I couldn't find the specific combination of info I was looking for.

thanks again.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

I don't leave my filters running, but I do wash my media in tap water. It's only a "bad" thing if you get a mini cycle from it, which never happens for me. I know others that don't either. A well established bacteria colony is tough as nails - people underestimate how resilient they are. Some have this idea that it's a house of cards, just waiting to come crashing down. At the very beginning, this is true, but down the road once can relax, and trust that it will remain stable and intact.

Since you are able to do the water change without turning the filter off, the amount of water you must be adding back to the tank is minimal, and chlorine would be diluted, like was said. Adding the declorinator before refilling makes this even more of a non issue, since it works on contact.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I never pre treat buckets. I treat the entire tank volume with dechlorinator and then fill. I use a digital thermometer to temp match before filling.

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm currently using the bucket method, so I treat each bucket, but I'll be getting a water changer soon and plan to add the dechlorinator to the tank before adding tap water. As said, it works on contact so there would be no issue with added chlorine.

10. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I watched a video that bankruptjojo posted about using the sink-attached siphon for water changes. He empties, adds the full-tank dose of Prime to the tank, then matches the temperature and fills from the sink.

I poked around a bit before I did my first pwc and this seemed like a simple solution, so that is what I do. So far, I have yet to see anything adverse with my cycle because of it. hth!

11. h

hobo Valued Member Member

I have well water so no de-chlorinator for me yahoo :;th

12. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I don't know if this applies to your well or not but most conditioners also detox heavy metals in addition to chlorine and chloramine.

13. plug

plug Well Known Member Member

I treat each bucket witb either Prime or Tetra Aqua safe before adding to the tank
    I also take the thermometer from the tank and match the temp as close as possible before adding the water to the tank

I think on the bottle of prime it recommends to treat the water before adding it into the tank

14. Jaysee

I use my fingers to get the right temperature.

The smaller the water change, the less important it is to have the temps match.

15. h

hobo Valued Member Member

I don't know if this applies to your well or not but most conditioners also detox heavy metals in addition to chlorine and chloramine.[/QUOTE]

I never had my water tested I know I have high calcium and I do get some iron stains absolutely no sulfur smells at all, even hot water doest smell . I love my water it tastes like nothing (Bottled water) what else could I have in there? I did get an ok from a lab when I moved in 14 years ago:;dete

16. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I used a full-tank dose of Prime before filling my tank with the hose (I know, breaks the temperature rule, but I have a bad back and filling with jugs or buckets is quite painful.) Now I use RO water, so Prime is only used in the event of minicycles or cycle loss.

I rinse my media in tank water. Not worth the risk in my opinion, and it's really not that much more trouble.

17. Lilibeth_Seasong

Lilibeth_Seasong Well Known Member Member

I agree with the previous answers. Probably adding conditioner to your tank before filling would be the best option. I only have a 5 gallon betta tank at the moment, so I treat my water in a separate container before adding it to my tank.

18. OP
    OP
    2HeadedBoy

I think Jaysee brings up an interesting caveat to this discussion bringing up how resiliant a well established bateria colony. I wouldn't know personally as my tank has only been running for a few months.

If doing a 25% WC, I hose fill the tank after matching the temp with a thermometer (sometimes filters on, sometimes off). Then I dechlor for the whole tank after. I beleive I will start treating the tank before adding water from now on.

If doing a 50% WC, I hose fill a rubbermaid tote with matching water temp. I then use enough prime to dechlor the new water, wait a 5-10 minutes and then add it to the tank. I pre-treat on a 50% WC because, i dunno, it seems like an awful lot of untreated water to be adding to the tank at once.

19. Jaysee

There's only one way to find your limits :)

I do 80% water changes - doesn't matter if it's been a week or a month. Goes right in from the tap.

Chlorine is also bad for the fish, but some love swimming into the incoming water. I'm not suggesting it's NOT bad for them, just saying that it's interesting that they do not avoid it.

20. OP
    OP
    2HeadedBoy

Hmmm, right from the tap? Maybe I've been looking at this wrong. For some reason I had the idea that because the Prime works intantly that it also gets used up instantly.

And, you aren't joking about the fish swimming into the incoming water stream. My tets love it. I purposely angle the water stream off the side of the tank to give them a nice current for them. I recently had one in QT with horrible fin rot and would normally just sit in the same spot all the time. But every time I changed the water she would swim into the oncoming stream. Sick as she was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice