Running Filtered Water Through Another Canister?

75g Discus Tank
I want to over filter my tank, but adding another filter would mess with it aesthetically.

Can I attach my first Eheim 2217 to the next 2217?

It's basically this:
1. Water runs through first canister
2. Water exits first canister and goes to second canister.
3. Water exits second canister and does back into tank.

Will it work?

2211Nighthawk
it might work but if one pump breaks down the second one could break down cause of the added stress.

varmint
I use Eheim canisters and I can envision all kinds of problems with this scenario. Why not use double layer of floss in the second basket, below the crude sponge ?

Mike1995
I would imagine flow would be reduced a lot. As well as if any mechanics of the filter itself break down, it could be disastrous. Why not just get one big canister? If you think about it, the price for two ehiem 2217 canisters probably equals the price of one much bigger one such as an fx6 or something.

aussieJJDude
Ive done it. My fluval G6 flows into my aquaone canister (and then into my inline heater) and honestly its the best thing I've done. The G6 isn't operational, and there is no reduction in flow.

The good thing is that you can completely clean out one canister, and then wash the other a month later.... its great to have!

75g Discus Tank
What if there was a little tank separating the tanks?
Like a 20 long in the middle of the canisters?
I’m going to be breeding my bn plexus and my female lives with the discus.

aussieJJDude
What if there was a little tank separating the tanks?
Like a 20 long in the middle of the canisters?
I’m going to be breeding my bn plexus and my female lives with the discus.
That won't work as the flow will not equalibriate and it will just end up overflowing the 20 gallon or sucking it dry.

Baba
Ive done it. My fluval G6 flows into my aquaone canister (and then into my inline heater) and honestly its the best thing I've done. The G6 isn't operational, and there is no reduction in flow.

The good thing is that you can completely clean out one canister, and then wash the other a month later.... its great to have!

I think that would be the way to go, running one as dummy. I would assume the dummy needs to be second in series, usually pumps don't like inflow restriction.
I have a broken Eheim 2215 and thought about it too but I don't have space in my cabinet.

aussieJJDude
I think that would be the way to go, running one as dummy. I would assume the dummy needs to be second in series, usually pumps don't like inflow restriction.
I have a broken Eheim 2215 and thought about it too but I don't have space in my cabinet.
The thing is that canisters do better with inflow restrictions than out from my experiences. Remember that they pull water through media, and have to deal with pushing water up and into the aquarium.
Everyone who I've come across have always placed tge dummy before the actual canister, since its basically like increasing the media space before it reaches the intake.

fa4960
Instead of a dummy canister filter wouldn't it be much cheaper to get a flow through pond filter? Another benefit would be much higher filter material capacity but maybe not easy to prime though?

Baba
The thing is that canisters do better with inflow restrictions than out from my experiences. Remember that they pull water through media, and have to deal with pushing water up and into the aquarium.
Everyone who I've come across have always placed tge dummy before the actual canister, since its basically like increasing the media space before it reaches the intake.
Makes sense.
I wrongly got the analogy from circulation pumps in Saltwater setups, there you do not want to restrict inflow at all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EmmaBudgie
Replies
Views
Pescado_Verde
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
  • Question
Replies