Running 2 power filters in my 37 is that too much?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive been running an Aqueon "Quiet" Flow 30, and a 50 in my 37 gal. i also have a powerhead near the heater which is pointed towards the other end of the tank with it slanted upwards towards the top of the water level. is this too much? my tank isnt really full. just 5 black skirts 2 albino cories and a sunset platy. not really anything in the way got this wood deco thing but its really short and theres plenty of room in the tank and theres tons of room up top being the 37 is so tall.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can never have too much filtration. The only thing I would worry about with that setup is stressing out the fish with too much water flow. I had an Aquaclear 110 and Penguin bio-wheel 350 along with several air stones with a high flow rate. My water was always crystal clear.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ever consider a canister filter? I just got a fluval 107 for my 20 long. Enough flow that you could do away with the HOB filters. Super incredibly easy to clean. everything only goes in one way so its impossible to mess up.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:
Ever consider a canister filter? I just got a fluval 107 for my 20 long. Enough flow that you could do away with the HOB filters. Super incredibly easy to clean. everything only goes in one way so its impossible to mess up.
i havent. im looking at them now. im assuming i want one of the ones that says "up to 40" for a 37g. i like the idea of not having giant machines on the top of my tank. ill look more into it. i have a salt water "empty" tank thats been on the back burner for like a year . i focus too much on my fresh tank :p

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
i havent. im looking at them now. im assuming i want one of the ones that says "up to 40" for a 37g. i like the idea of not having giant machines on the top of my tank. ill look more into it. i have a salt water "empty" tank thats been on the back burner for like a year . i focus too much on my fresh tank :p
You can definitely use a canister on your fresh tank :)

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As long as your fish don't have trouble swimming against the current its fine. However looking at your stocking if you were to have less filtration, it probably would not be an issue(of course that depends).

Also on an unrelated topic, I don't know specific dimensions of the 37 but I would up the number of corydoras and black-skirts if possible. Of course you don't have to, thats JMO :)

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
flyinGourami said:
As long as your fish don't have trouble swimming against the current its fine. However looking at your stocking if you were to have less filtration, it probably would not be an issue(of course that depends).

Also on an unrelated topic, I don't know specific dimensions of the 37 but I would up the number of corydoras and black-skirts if possible. Of course you don't have to, thats JMO :)
30x12x22 , yeah i havent added many fix since i had an apololypse and im trying to do better before i murder more fish , and change my set up. i want to trying being successful with plants. current ones seem to be fine though
i didnt mean to buy all the black skirts. i had a gamori or whatever it was called i forget and it was bullying my "1" black skirt. so my slow brain was to buy that one blackskirt 5 buddies. nothing changed so i got rid of the big fish. in retrospect i should have just ditched the black skirt. having 6 of them is kinda bland. but maybe once i start adding plants that wont die and other fish that wont die

lol gourami

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Filtration is the name of the game. The more the merrier! Hob filters are good but if you can afford a canister you will be very glad you did. Another idea.....buy twice the size you need canister wise. It pays for itself in the long run.:)

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Charlie’s Dad said:
Filtration is the name of the game. The more the merrier! Hob filters are good but if you can afford a canister you will be very glad you did. Another idea.....buy twice the size you need canister wise. It pays for itself in the long run.:)
im still trying to understand the model numbers of these fluval canisters . is the 307 for 30g etc?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom