Rummys/neons

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by llfish, Aug 12, 2015.

1. llfishWell Known MemberMember

In a 125g what would be or look better...20-30 neons or rummynose tetras? too many? not enough? or do both?..tank mates will be dension barbs/rams/corys/gourami/angels/(but I will buy dime/quarter size and move my big pair to a breeding tank).

I am on the fence over a severum, they just might get too big and snack on my smaller fellas. If I can find a tiny one maybe but they grow and may still snack.

D├ęcor will be lots driftwood some lava rock some live plants such as anubias, dwarf hair, java fern, sword plants, as well as some silk plants.

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I'd go with Rummynose, imo they're one of the best schooling fish & look great in large numbers, you may have to watch the Angels with them as they get bigger.

3. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Agreed, I would go with rummynoses over neons.
    For multiple reasons. Just because I like rummynoses better, and also because neons are not compatible with angels and rams because they need a cooler temp.

4. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Rummys it is!

5. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

In a 125 I'd do about 20 Rummys and about 20 Cardinals, both good schoolers in large tanks. Even with several larger fish, a well filtered 125 can handle quite a load. But I would skip the denison barbs and Gouramis. The barbs get too big, and the Gouramis are too unpredictable.

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What type of gouramis are they? If they are pearls, they won't be too unpredictable imo. They are peaceful. But if they are Trichopodus trichopterus and it's variants, then yes....

7. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Well I have 5 densions I paid over 150$ for them so they are staying. I do not have the gourami yet but it will more than likely be a pearl and they are so peaceful so I have no worries.

The densions are in my 55g and I plan on adding the small fish first. By the time everyone gets in there it will be a couple months as I plan to do this slowly

I never thought that the densions would be an issue I guess I could go something different but I really like the effect a large small fish school brings

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  8. SnyperToddValued MemberMember

Don't worry about the 5 Denison Barbs, they'll be just fine in a 125. They're also fairly slow growers compared to some fish, like Severums. I agree with the others who recommended Rummynose Tetras, they are nice, tight schoolers and add some color and interesting group movement. As a side note, my kids have a school of Rummynoses in their tank, all of which are named 'Spiderman.'

9. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Do you think that a severum provided I get a small one to start would be ok with rummys, Corys and Angel..I think I am getting a green or gold as they are only 15$ I REALLY wanted the orange spotted but they go for $65 here at Petland!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice