Rummynose Tetra Question!

BGDaddiMadi

I have a 45 gallon tank with 3 black Kuhli Loaches, 13 Neon Tetras and finally got 6 Rummynose Tetras that I have been waiting forever for, but one passed a day after being in the new home, I'm sure it was the stress from moving since I changed their water a day or two before getting them. but the question is since there is only 5 and tetras prefer 6 or more, will being one short stress out the Rummies or will they be fine with 13 other Neons since they have loads in common and kinda all group together? I didn't know if I should rush to get 2 or 3 more Rummynose to keep stress levels down. Thanks guys!

DoubleDutch

The magic number of 6 is a manmade number. The more the better but 5 or 6 won't be much of a difference to them.

TClare

How long have the rummy nose tetras been in the tank? I don't think one less will make that much difference, It may be best to wait until they are well settled and definitely healthy before adding any more. Then later on you could decide if a bigger school would be better (quarantining any new arrivals first).

Blacksheep1

They’ll be fine at 5. It’s pretty common to
Lose one or two pretty quick after getting them.

Blacksheep1

I agree with macz. You won’t regret it , they school so tightly so the more the merrier imo. However they will be just fine as a 5 if you have different stocking ideas

BGDaddiMadi

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help! To MacZ and BlackSheep1, I definitely want too but with the tank being 45g tall, would adding 15 more limit their swimming space?? I mean if the tank was more wide, I totally can see it!

Blacksheep1

How wide is the tank?

MacZ

45g tall,
oh. That is not good.

would adding 15 more limit their swimming space??
Not 15 more, I meant adding 10 so you have 15 total.

And... yeah, in a 45 tall I wouldn't keep them at all. They are fish that really profit from a big footprint of a long tank.

PAcanis

I had six in a 38g. I added three more last week and they DO seem happier in the larger group :)
And I'm happier to watch them.

BGDaddiMadi

So for the dimensions, the tank's 3' in length, 2' in height and 1' in width. I figured that isn't the best tank dimensions for all of them. I have been looking onto a 75g that's more in length (sorry I said width earlier when I meant length) for everyone, then I'll definitely add 10 more! kinda scared my second floor apartment might not support that weight. lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vichu
Replies
Views
Sharkesse
Replies
Views
Sh899y
  • Question
Replies