Rummynose Tetra Problem?

LeahsTank

Hello rummynose experts,

When I first set up my aquarium almost 8 months ago, I bought 7 rummynose tetras. My guess is that the tank hadn’t yet cycled because I quickly lost 6 f them. Although they are supposed to be in groups, I did not buy more because I wasn’t sure I could keep them alive.

Since that last rummynose has managed to stay alive in spite of me, and I understand the cycle a bit more, I decided to go ahead and buy him some friends.

So I bought 4 more. I put them in quarantine for e weeks and ran 1 course of PraziPro, just in case... Now the qt tank didn’t have good lighting and wasn’t in a good angle to be able to really study these guys. So I added them to the main tank where, under much better light, I noticed one appeared to have a white “mass” inside his body. He is acting normal. Does any one know what this is and if I should be concerned? I tried to get a photo and this is the best I could do. Those little beggars are fast!

And another side question... the new guys seem to be overall “brighter” then the old guy. Are slight color differences common with different “litters?”

Thanks.

Attachments

• 5CCE18E0-8205-4920-94CD-065CF86C0171.jpeg
    5CCE18E0-8205-4920-94CD-065CF86C0171.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 76

A201

Be a good idea to net the sick Rummynose out and put him back in the QT tank. Hopefully the white growth is just a fungus that has attached itself to an abrasion. Clean water and good nutrition should clear that up. The other possibility is a bacterial infection (Columnaris). If that's the case you could medicate w/antibiotics, but recovery is unlikely. Hope he makes it. Rummynoses are one of my favorites.

LeahsTank

Ugh! I hate trying to net a little Speedy Gonzales in my planted tank!

I don’t think it is a fungus... at least on the outside. It is definitely an internal growth. I can see it through his translucent body.

Thanks for the reply.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Level99Fishing
Replies
Views
Initiate
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies