Rummynose Tetra picking on Angelfish

BWIT

Has anyone encountered rummynose tetras nipping at angelfish? My angelfish are staying in the corner due to the school of 8 rummynose nipping at them. The only thing I can think is that I am not feeding enough in the morning.

As I was typing this, my wife noticed when we get close to the tank (55 gallon) is when they start to nip. When she watches from afar, they do their own thing. We tested this theory several times and it’s like they are swarming the angelfish to get them away from potential food.

Betta'sAnonymous

Maybe i shouldn't laugh...but dang. Not like the angels wouldn't return the favor though.

Lebeeze

When the angels get bigger they will eat the rummynose. Don't worry they are plotting their revenge

BWIT

Lebeeze said:
When the angels get bigger they will eat the rummynose. Don't worry they are plotting their revenge
They aren’t necessarily small. They aren’t huge, but still a decent size. Their bodies are between 2-3” and with fins, maybe 5-6”. The rummynose are still fairly small. You are right that they are probably plotting revenge. But until then, I would rather they stay healthy, happy, and not mangy

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Maybe i shouldn't laugh...but dang. Not like the angels wouldn't return the favor though.
It’s ok for laughing. Both replies I've received have made me laugh.
I’ll try putting a little more food in there in the morning. Hopefully that will mitigate some of the nipping.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well, in my head all i can picture is Scrappy Doo going after Megatron.

BWIT

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Well, in my head all i can picture is Scrappy Doo going after Megatron.
thank you for making me laugh. I still feel bad for the angels, but at least one of them has a new nickname. They were Dayman and Nightman.

veggieshark

Maybe it is the angels that get spooked when you get close to the tank and stress out. They may look weak to the tetras and the tetras may be going for the slime coat.

BWIT

The tetras are definitely swarming to the angels when we go near. It’s almost creepy to watch how fast they all turn from where they are to push the angels to the side the tank. They nip the tips of their flowing tail fins.

Top Bottom