Rummynose tetra, good choice? Plus white growth on nose

Brnick

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I have a 20 high gallon tank, my first aquarium as an adult (). I set it up the first week of January, planted it with a mix of stem plants and other medium/slow growers, which have been growing well. I let it cycle for a month. Where I live, it is kind of hard to get an ammonia test kit at only old pet store, so I have just the 6-in-1 test strips (I should mail order the NH4 tes though, I know, I know). After a few weeks, I had a nitrite spike for a few days, which then went down to zero and stayed that way. I waited about a week after that before getting the first fish. I wanted to start with some schoolers. My idea was to buy a few now, let the filter get adjusted to their bioload, then next week buy a few more. I ended up going with rummynose tetras, about which I have since read some conflicting information. According to some sources, they ideally need a longer tank than I have and are not so easy to keep, but elsewhere says 20 gallons is fine and they are relatively hardy once acclimated. So, I guess my first question is if I this particular fish is a good choice for me, that is, should I build up the school, or just try another species.

The fish have been there for four days. They didn't eat the first few days, but are eating now. They swim around and seem to behave normally. One though has developed some kind of growth on its nose. It started off as a kind of fleshy-looking piece of loose skin, but grew into a firm white protrusion within a few hours. Is this a fungus? Or columnaris? Or an injury?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rummynose is a good choice. They stay small & are good schoolers. The white growth doesn't appear to be on the mouth, which would be a possible indicator of bacterial mouth rot.
It looks more like fungus, maybe attached to an abrasion.
Keep an eye on the problem. If others start exhibiting symptoms or things begin to worsen for the affected fish, be prepared to remove the sick.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The growth may clear up on its own, but like A201 said, just keep a close eye. Great looking fish, I think rummy nose are my favorite species of tetra

OP
B

Brnick

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I like them too because they are such tight shoalers. So, I will just let it be for the moment and observe. I would like to add more as soon as possible though because I think they will feel better that way, but I don't want to risk them all getting infected. I will give it a few days, I guess.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom