Rummynose Sometimes Hiding And Not Feeding Well

Discussion in 'Rummy Nose Tetra' started by tellin, Apr 19, 2018.

1. t

tellin Valued Member Member

Less than a week ago, I stocked my finally-cycled, lightly planted 29 gallon with 6 neon tetras and 4 rummynose tetras. When we were adding them, my son dumped in a piece of dead fish that was floating in the bag with the tetras... I wasn't happy about that, but it happened. They settled in very quickly, and followed this pattern:
    Day 1: all tetras schooling together
    Day 2: separated out into two shoals
    Day 3+: occasional loose schooling, but mostly each fish happily doing his/her own thing

On day 4, I noticed only 3 rummynoses zooming around. On close inspection, I found the missing fish, who was quietly hovering about an inch from the bottom of the tank behind a decoration. I didn't take much note at the time, but yesterday evening (Day 5) I realized that this same fish was doing the same thing. When I fed the fish last night s/he did not go into a frenzy like the others, just stayed hovering in place, once in a while going back and forth across the lower back inch of the tank, making a kind of "munching" movement with his/her mouth (the kids now named the fish "Mr. Munchie").

This morning I was afraid the fish would be dead. However, it was swimming around with the others! We fed the fish, but Mr. Munchie did not seem able to get any of the food, even though we tried to direct some towards him/her. Eventually he retreated to the back bottom of the tank again.

As I write this, he is swimming around the tank, moving fairly well, but more often than not the odd man out with the other rummynoses. His nose is red and I don't see any discolored patches, etc. He's the second smallest out of four rummies. All the other fish look very happy.

Should I just observe, quarantine, or take back to the store (14 day guarantee)? I'm worried about neon tetra disease.

P.S. Tank parameters are perfect, but the temperature of the tank was a bit high because I had a new heater that turned out to be un-calibrated. Over the past few days I have been gradually lowering the temp from 87 (I know, way too hot but they all seemed happy) to 79 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

just observe your tetras for right now, what could be happening is due to the number of rummy nose in your aquarium. If you have 4 or 3 schooling fish in a aquarium of the same species, often times one will get singled out. 4 fish make a very odd school. It is recommended that all tetras species need at least 6 per school.

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's quite possible that the lone ranger is actually being picked on. Increase the school to 6+ and that might resolve the issue.

Also keep an eye on it. Sometimes schools will single out a fish if they are ill. So I would keep track of it.

4. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks, we'll stop by the LFS and see if they have some more!

5. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I just wanted to chime in with my experiences, which leads to a different recommendation from opinions above.
    I've seen exactly the same behaviors in some of my rummies when they were new (2 separate batches separated by half a year). Not hanging with the school, hanging out in the weeds, not interested in food, gills pumping heavily (or at least more than normal). The next symptoms to watch for are emaciation, continued loss or absence of appetite, and low activity level. One other thing I've seen is an interest in food, but inability or unwillingness to swallow bites. They'll cruise around at feeding time and take bites, but will spit it back out. Every time. You have to watch really closely to see it. In every case where I've seen this in my fish, it's been progressive, and has not resolved without intervention.
    In the earlier batch, I lost 2 fish one after the other to this (one was euthanized, another just disappeared one day [I have a healthy amano population, so small dead fish get cleaned up exceptionally quickly]). In the more recent batch, I removed the fish to a hospital tank and treated with a combo of kanaplex and prazipro (though I now suspect the issue was bacterial, so the prazi was overkill/redundant). The affected fish now appear to be recovering, albeit very slowly, and they only got out of hospital this past weekend, so it's early days. The skinny fish are still skinny, but they're eating better, and after feeding time I can see a very tiny bump in their tummy, so I think it will get better.
    Keep us posted how this resolves.
    Cheers!
    PS I should add that medicating was a last resort, not first. I considered and eliminated water quality and overstocking as causal agents.
    PPS I don't disagree with the wait and see approach recommended above, but watch for the symptoms I've described above to continue, and if you don't see an improvement, be prepared to intervene.

6. OP
    OP
    t

RIP Mr. Munchieface. This afternoon he was swimming up near the surface of the tank, looking kind of lost. When I got back an hour later, he was stiff and dead on the bottom of the tank.

Went to two different shops but nobody has rummies until next week. Picked up a few more neons, but hoping that the dynamics of the remaining rummies doesn't go sour before I can get more. I noticed that the very smallest rummynose seemed to be chasing the largest, who is almost a half size larger. Wonder is this aggression or possibly courtship? Everybody looks great, very red noses with even a patch of greenish silver on the top of the head (I hear this is part of the coloration.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice