Rummynose problem

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So some of you guys may know by now but I have a 60 gallon tank with...

2 Angel's
2 dwarf gourami
6 german blue ram
6 skunk cory
10 lemon tetra
10 rummynose tetra

Well the truth is I've bought 14 rummy nose in the past 3 or 4 days and am now at 7. For some reason they just keep dying but it's only the rummies. All my fish are small so I doubt its them getting eaten but I've only been able to recover 1 body. The rest seem to be missing.

My numbers are...

Ammonia - 0 (or 0.25 but I think apI test is broken, I can never seem to get a reading of 0 on it)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -5
Temp- 81

I haven't checked kh and gh in a while but every time I've checked in the past my gh was around 180 and kh was 80.

Any ideas why I can't keep rummynose. I haven't lost any other fish in this tank since I set it up

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also I've bought all the fish except the lemons at the same store. They seem to know what they are doing with fish, they even quarantine them before putting them up for sale!

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you observed any weird behaviour or disease symptoms or do they just vanish?

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
GlennO said:
Have you observed any weird behaviour or disease symptoms or do they just vanish?
I'm not 100% sure how rummys normally behave, they tend to stay close together and not move around too much. They have been eating fine as well.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could be bad stock - some fishes just don't adapt well to changes. You could ask the store if any other customers have had problem with a specific fish (the lfs I use offers a 2 week credit for dead fishes; and will generally know if a lot of custoemers have problems with a specific batch).

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jake37 said:
Could be bad stock - some fishes just don't adapt well to changes. You could ask the store if any other customers have had problem with a specific fish (the lfs I use offers a 2 week credit for dead fishes; and will generally know if a lot of custoemers have problems with a specific batch).
Yeah I really like theook of them but I'm not going to keep replacing them as they die. I'm losing like 2 or 3 per day. I have no idea where the bodies are either

Rick16

Reaction score
I'm guessing something is killing/eating them if you are not finding any bodies.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you are not finding bodies then they might not be dying.... how large are your angels and how small are the rummynose ?

Lebeeze said:
Yeah I really like theook of them but I'm not going to keep replacing them as they die. I'm losing like 2 or 3 per day. I have no idea where the bodies are either

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a thought, have you carefully inspected the floor around the tank?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lebeeze said:
I'm not 100% sure how rummys normally behave, they tend to stay close together and not move around too much. They have been eating fine as well.
I have 6 in my 40 gallon breeder tank, and they're pretty much constantly on the move.

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jake37 said:
If you are not finding bodies then they might not be dying.... how large are your angels and how small are the rummynose ?
My Angel's are pretty small, maybe an inch and a half long, and the rummies are a little shorter than an inch

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
GlennO said:
Just a thought, have you carefully inspected the floor around the tank?
Yes I did check around my tank, they are not jumping as far as I can tell

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have an hob filter? If so you might check in there - I had a swordtail which used to frequently manage to jump into my aquaclear. Also if your angels are that small it is not likely they are eating them. I think the first thing you ahve to do is figure out where they are going (whether it is a corpse or something else).

Lebeeze said:
Yes I did check around my tank, they are not jumping as far as I can tell

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I lost half of mine, turns out they were sick from seller. I no longer purchase online, did it once and got terrible results. If all the rest of your fish are fine then I think they were sick.

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
andy305mia said:
I lost half of mine, turns out they were sick from seller. I no longer purchase online, did it once and got terrible results. If all the rest of your fish are fine then I think they were sick.
Yeah I have bought 14 and I am now down to 7, I've only found 1 body lol, I have the Bermuda triangle of tanks I guess

Level99Fishing

Reaction score
This is a bit late, but I had exactly the same issue when I bought my first batch of rummynose. They just kept dying one by one from the day I brought them home for no reason at all. None survived. I bought a second batch about a week later.

Fast forward to now, it's almost been a year and only one has died (from being attacked I'm pretty sure).

They've got such beautiful colouration; I'd encourage you to try them again if you still have the space for them.

New Threads