29 Gallon Tank Rummy Noses Dying One By One

Florence

Hi
I have a moderately planted 29 gallon established tank. A month ago I purchased 7 rummy noses from my LPS and introduced them after the acclamation period. I dosed some prime to help ease the stress and for the next few days everything was fine. (Water levels never spiked). After 3 days one rummy nose was staying away from the group, and over the course of an hour, went from healthy to swimming upside down and dead. All the others are in perfect health. Bright red noses, hungry appetite, healthy schooling. Next day same thing. One healthy, then dead. Next day same thing. The four that are left are still healthy. Water levels are pristine. Two weeks go by with no deaths so I went and purchased 8 from a reputable fish place, thinking the LPS just had bad fish. Lost one fish over the hour and a half drive, but the rest are fine. Acclimate, dose prime, all good. Next day, one healthy one dead. Repeat 2 more times. Went 3 days without a death, until yesterday. Each fish that has died has a white fissure wrapped around their body behind their dorsal fins. Doesnt look fuzzy, just like swollen almost. I also have 5 peppered corys in this tank and all of them have been fine throughout this whole ordeal, so I don't believe it is contagious, as it has only happened to the rummy nose.
I've read about others with this issue and it never seemed to have a definite answer.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to include as much as possible incase any bit helped.

AquaticJ

Thunder_o_b

I have been loosing 75-80% in the first 3 days in qt. They were from Petco. This is the third round. I have 11 in a stable school in the 150 but that is 20% of the fish I bought over 6 months.

Florence

Thunder_o_b said:
I have been loosing 75-80% in the first 3 days in qt. They were from Petco. This is the third round. I have 11 in a stable school in the 150 but that is 20% of the fish I bought over 6 months.
So its not uncommon to experience large die offs? Would the only solution be to stock until stable? Ive purchased a total of 15 fish but only 7 are alive at the moment.

AquaticJ

I still have all of my Rummynose, but I keep them with Rams in reverse osmosis/tap mix because they’re one of those fish that just doesn't do well in hard water. It’s definitely a source problem most of the time, and if it’s not then your tank is too cold, or water is too hard. You temperature is fine, but I wonder your source and hardness.

Florence

AquaticJ said:
I still have all of my Rummynose, but I keep them with Rams in reverse osmosis/tap mix because they’re one of those fish that just doesn't do well in hard water. It’s definitely a source problem most of the time, and if it’s not then your tank is too cold, or water is too hard. You temperature is fine, but I wonder your source and hardness.
Water from my tap. I'm not sure of the hardness, but the water comes from a natural well under limestone near my house. I'm not sure if my location could have an impact on water hardness.

AquaticJ

Florence said:
Water from my tap. I'm not sure of the hardness, but the water comes from a natural well under limestone near my house. I'm not sure if my location could have an impact on water hardness.
People use limestone (calcium carbonate) to buffer pH and make their water harder, so my guess is it’s pretty hard water.

Florence

AquaticJ said:
People use limestone (calcium carbonate) to buffer pH and make their water harder, so my guess is it’s pretty hard water.
I can look into getting a test kit for the water hardness, I've just never needed it before now. Soonest for that would probably be next weekend. I have four from the original batch that have seemed to stabilize as they have grown and stay tightly together, even amongst the rest of them. I'm hoping most of them will adjust to the difference, if not I will keep whatever survives and maybe look into ember tetras to fill the remaining space.

Thunder_o_b

Florence said:
So its not uncommon to experience large die offs? Would the only solution be to stock until stable? Ive purchased a total of 15 fish but only 7 are alive at the moment.
Considering the care I give my aquariums I am prone to think it is another example of the genetics going to h... erm, ahhhh, low quality inbreeding.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom