Rummy Nose Vs. Cardinal Tetras? Question

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by fishrlene, Jul 9, 2019.

1. fishrlene

fishrleneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    Which one would you prefer?

I initially had my heart set on the Rummies because of their ability to school very tightly but just found out that they are very sensitive fishes. So now I’m considering the Cardinals because of their bright colours. Which do you prefer?

Is it worth risking the sensitivity of the rummies for their schooling ability or settle for the colours of the cardinals?

My tank has a naturally high pH - 8.2.

My current stock - 36G bowfront

- 6 Harlequin Rasboras
    - 6 Lemon Tetras
    - 2 Otos
    - 1 Nerite Snail

Thank you!

2. fa4960

fa4960Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    Can't talk to the Cardinals but I bought 10 Rummy nose some months ago and now I have 6 left. I more or less lost one every month for the first 4 months. Typically gone within 1 day after I noticed anything wrong (isolation or erratic swimming). My thread about it is here: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/what-killed-my-rummy-nose.405713/

The 4 GBR's and 6 L333 Pleco's bought at the same time and added to the same new tank setup have had no issues / illnesses in the same period.

I have decided not to replenish the school.

3. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you for your input. It’s sad, but unfortunately it seems to be a consensus that they’re really sensitive fishes that’s hard to keep. I’ll probably steer clear of them for now. Thanks again! All the best to your remaining Rummies. Hope they pull through.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,740
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Think your Ph is quite high for both fish.
    They both can be stunning and are both great schoolers.

5. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    It is pretty high. Actually both my Rasboras and Lemons need a lower pH too. I’ve tried lowering it down but it won’t budge at 8.2. It’s constant tho at 8.2. I drip acclimated all my fish for at least an hour and so far (knock on wood), they’re all thriving even with a high pH. I’m hoping the cardinals will be fine as well. Thanks for your input!

6. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +755
    Experience:
    4 years
    I have hard, high PH water. The PH starts around 7.8 to 7.9 out of the tap and is about 7.6 to 7.7 in my tank from wood and nitrification.

I can't speak to cardinal tetras, but I do keep a school of 7 rummies in the community tank. I've found them very easy to keep and not sensitive at all. They're nothing like neon tetras who are extremely sensitive and always seem to die after 6 months.

Rummies are beautiful and swim in a super tight school. I'd recommend them.

7. Annie59

Annie59Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +578
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How old is your tank? I have had the rummy noses but I had the tank up for almost a year before I tried them. I've always heard they like a well established tank. So I waited a year before I got the nerve to try them. They did do fine but it was years ago and maybe they are more sensitive now?

8. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you for this! Yeah, I wouldn’t keep Neon as well. I lost 6 of them on my previous tank. I heard the cardinals were their hardier version.

Good to know about the Rummies. It’s really tough because I do love their tight schooling capabilities.

My tank is just over 2 months. But I seeded my old established filter pouch into this new one to help cycle it faster. That’s good to know, it may be worth waiting later on to add them. It’s an option ... thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  9. wishkahryan

wishkahryanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have both cardinals for 7 months and the rummy nose for 3 none have died and there all doing good

10. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hmmmm ... ok. Is there one that you prefer over the other?

11. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +755
    Experience:
    4 years
    Ya cardinals are supposed to be way hardier, but I have never had them so I can't confirm.

I've also never had an issue keeping rummynoses. They are small, and smaller fish tend to be more prone to getting injured from getting sloshed around or from bigger aggressive fish. But in good water conditions, mine have never been sensitive or got disease.

You'll really like them. They have awesome color patterns and truly act as a unit by schooling so perfectly. Most other fish in the freshwater hobby are shoalers and just swim near each other. Watching rummies is really enjoyable.