Rummy Nose Tetras With No Red!?!?!

NUMB3RS

HI I own 3 Rummy Nose Tetras and they are great fish with the exception of 1 thing...My Rummy Nose Tetras don't have Red on there noses! I've read that it comes out when they are in TOP condition and my water is close to perfect! The LFS said that they were Wild from Peru and that they came with NO red on their noses. I decided to buy them because I thought their Red would come out more if I fed them flakes instead of what the LFS was feeding them (Some Kind Of Meat). Please Help! I'll post pictures when I get a chance!

krismoore888

is there any colouration?

Mike19

If they are Rummy Nose Tetras, the faded color is a indication of stress, maybe from the LFS conditions, transportation or new environment. Also if your viewing them at night they may appear lighter similar to neon tetras at night.

NUMB3RS

krismoore888 said:
is there any colouration?
Yes there is a faded red on them, a VERY faded red

cerianthus

How long have they been in your tank?

catfishlover123

Yeah, I think it is because of stress.

NUMB3RS

They've been in my tank for quite a while now..so I don't know if the problem is stress.

bettafish2816

Mike19

if possible post a picture and its possible the school isn't big enough

NUMB3RS

I was planning to get more but I was waiting for the right time since I might get kribs.

agabr123 said:
have you tested water parameters recently?
Not recently... Sorry

Mike19

test your water parameters soon, and with the krips personally I think you don't have enough room for them.

krismoore888

yeh definetly test your water paras and the temp seems high for those fish on the 30, and it would be slightly overstocked I think if you got kribs in that tanks, remeber they can get to 5''

NUMB3RS

I'm planning to move some fish around to make room for the Kribs.

krismoore888

ah ok, in regards to the colouration on your tetras, have you added any new fish recently as that could cause stress. have you had a chance to test your water?

jgon_

Yeah...check your water parameters first before you go ahead and add any more fish.

NUMB3RS

My water is good and there is nothing wrong I guess they are just UnRed RummyNose Tetra

Mike19

your definition of good may differ with other members definition, if possible please post Ammonia , Nitrites and Nitrates also when was the last time you tested the water parameters can change quickly.

NUMB3RS

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0.5

bettafish2816

.5 or 5? my nitrate tester doesn't show anything lower than 5?

NUMB3RS

the LFS said it was .5 I didnt see how far his chart went.

jgon_

Get your own test kit (API Liquid). It will save you time and stress in the long run.

krismoore888

I agree with jgon_ your own tester is always best. are they eating ok and swimming ok, if so u may be right, they might just be 'unred'

bettafish2816

yeah....I really highly doubt that whatever nitrate tester they are using can read .5.....getting your own would be best as others suggested

NUMB3RS

Yah they are all eating very well and they are swimming everywhere. They don't seem to be stressed at all and they don't get bitten by anyone either.

jgon_

Still, I'd recommend getting your own kit before adding anymore fish. I couldn't imagine a fish store employee saying your water isn't good enough if you're there to buy fish.

Latest threads

Top Bottom