Rummy Nose Tetras Swimming At Top Of Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jperdomo20, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jperdomo20

jperdomo20New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey guys, I had posted before about a 55 gallon tank i had before and was able to rehome a few fish and make it a discus only tank, but I looked around and saw that rummy nose tetras could be a good complimentary set of tank mates for them along with my two blue ram cichlids so i went out and got a school of 10. I drip acclimated them and everything and put them in, and they were fine and actually starting to school for the first 40 min or so. Just to feel safe with adding the new fish I dosed the tank with a capful of prime, but literally minutes later the tetras started to swim at the surface and break up their school. Worried about this I did about a 20 percent water change, and unfortunately some of them are still swimming at the top of the water. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be going wrong? My tank parameters are as follows

temp 82 degrees
    ammonia 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrates 20
    the discus and two blue ram cichlids are all acting normal and fine it seems to be just the rummy nose tetras unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Lastly there is a bit of aquarium salt probably left over from before my last water change but it was well under the normal dosage per gallon because i have live plants. Sorry for the rant just really stressed about these guys.

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    I'd just turn off the lights and let them settle in, see if they improve.

3. OP
    OP
    jperdomo20

jperdomo20New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes i forgot to mention I had turn off the lights before I even put them in, unfortunately I’ve just lost two as they’re not able to control how they swim anymore and are starting to float.