Rummy nose tetras in hard water

supernaut06

I was just wondering if any one has had success with keeping rummy nose tetras in hard water? I was looking into their requirements, most sites give a decent range for water hardness but one was very adamant that you not keep them in hard water. So I was wondering if any of the fish lore members have had any luck with them in hard water.

LyndaB

What exactly are your readings?

supernaut06

Honestly it's been awhile since I've tested water hardness, the last time I did it was pretty close to the extreme that my kit would test for. Living in this part of Indiana our water is really hard because of all the limestone and rock in our soil, there's actually a (really small) quarry within a mile of me. I'm going to see if I can't dig up a kit and to test and then I'll post my exact reading.

LyndaB

Hmmmmm, I'm not up on ways of softening water. We happen to be absolutely blessed with beautiful tap water here in CT. My rummies are thriving in the less acidic water that we have. I've read all those things that you have about the hardness being a real issue for them.

Not sure what to tell you....

supernaut06

Thanks for trying, I really do appreciate it. I suppose I could always use RO water. My fiance has wanted these for over a year, her birthday is at the end of the month and I just recently purchased a tank that was going to house these, had hoped to start fishless cycling this weekend. THEN I remembered we basically have liquid rock coming out of our tap.

LyndaB

The hardness wouldn't be your only issue. Rummies really need to go into an established tank, something running I'd say a minimum of 6 months. They're kind of delicate in that way. You could most definitely not cycle a tank with these guys.

supernaut06

I had kinda hoped that using media from my 60 and one of the filters from my 30 would help. I wasn't really in a hurry to throw them in by the end of the month, just inform my fiance that we had a tank for them and were going to get some.

LyndaB

Cycled tank doesn't necessarily equal established tank. Although I swear by stealing media from one tank to seed another. Works like a charm.

Make out a really cute IOU or Gift Certificate for her indicating that she will be getting some once the tank meets their requirements. You're really going to love them. I adore mine! :-*

supernaut06

The IOU sounds like a plan. And you're absolutely correct about cycled not equaling established, thanks Lynda!

LyndaB

You're very welcome....

Top Bottom