Rummy nose tetras dying one by one.

Fishtanklover
HI all. New here first post ever. On another forum but there not exactly friendly..

I have a 6 x 2 x 2 tank. Curved front. Running a fx5 filter system.

I recently brought some rummy nose tetras. I have a cycled tank well its cycled but only roughly 7 weeks old. I have a apI test kit and it said my levels where all go to add fish.

I brought 6 rummy nose tetras and over the corse of 3 days 2 passed away. I waiting another week and brought 5 more. Sadly 2 have passed and one I think passed from either neon tetra disease or whirling disease. He could swim but not like a normal fish. Its right eye was blood shot and my dwarf gourami was picking at it trying to eat him so I humanly put him down. . Is there any way you guys can help me. My water levels are all fine. 20Ppm nitrates is the only thing showing on my tests. I'm very sad and feel like giving up and selling my tank. I had a 100 gallon back home in new zealand but moved to australia recently and was so happy to buy another fish tank. Was a sad day selling my 1st tank as it was the first thing to sell and I still had 5 months before I moved. Didnt relise how much I loved the hobby.

Anyway to top it off I have ich on 2 of my alive rummys now. . Its been a lovely week for me so far. I also am only allowed one fish tank. So I have no chance at ever getting a QT tank till we move again.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Isaac

Betta Splendid 1
Rummy nosed tetras are extremely sensitive to change in water parameters and are easily stressed until established. The change from fish store water to tank water could stress the more because of the sensitivity. Rummy nosed tetras are not recommended as the first fish in the tank even when the tank is cycled.

el337
HI and welcome to the forum!

Sorry about your losses. Agree that rummy nose tetras are quite sensitive. It could be that they were also bad stock to begin with since they showed signs of illness shortly after you bought them.

You mentioned the 2 have ICH. You should really treat the whole tank instead of moving the ones that show obvious signs because the whole tank is likely infected. How are you treating the ICH and do you have any other fish or inverts besides the DG?

nicole4434
I know you can't get a second tank, but with a solid divider (one that does not allow waterflow and silicone to seal in the edges you might beable to divide a small section of the tank for allowing a quarenteen area, and when not in use you could do plants in it

ricmcc
I agree with nicole4434, but would modify the method a bit. A 10 gallon tank costs very little, and you could float one in your main tank, just to avoid having to drain and silicone, which is not difficult, but might add to your lousy week list. A simple sponge filter would work well in it, plus the cycling method of your choice. I would keep it, btw, as you will always need a QT.
I think that el337 made a great point in saying that you should treat for ich now; one of the problems of some meds is that they decrease the availability of oxygen in the water, but as it seems that you have a low bioload in a large tank, which should offset any oxygen lost due to meds.
Could you elaborate on your method of cycling, pls, and how you determined your system cycled?
I ask only because a cycled tank is sort of a constantly moving target, as I'm sure you know, and a system is only cycled to the degree that an active biobed's elimination of waste products equals the production of waste products, so in a 6 week old tank, gradual introduction of fish or whatever is a good safeguard.
Sorry for your losses, but welcome to the site, and All the best, rick
BTW, I like your choice of both tank and filter; IMO,the FX5 is virtually identical to the F6, excepting the cost. Good luck and best to you,rick
Another Btw, having been married for about the same number of years as the Leafs have been without a Stanley Cup, I can give you excellent advise on smuggling aquarium products into your home

nicole4434
I agree with the above, though am unsure how a 10 gallon floats when there is water present in it, I only suggested the way I did as your tank is 6x2x2 so even dividing off 12" length would give you 1x2x2 which is equivalent or close to a 20 gallon tank size

Nice one ricmcc, but I think your wife may know of you smuggling, a good wife knows everything, lol and I don't need to smuggle, my husband has no quarms with my fish addiction and only asks that when we move into a house we own if we can also go back to cockatiels (which is another thing I got him addicted to and was sad when we had to give up)

nicole4434
Also with water displacement by a floating tank you'd have to make sure you didn't have too much water in the main tank, but the divider doesn't move so there wouldn't be a displacement issue. if you ever remove a floating tank you will notice your water level drop quite a bit

ricmcc
nicole4434 said:
I agree with the above, though am unsure how a 10 gallon floats when there is water present in it, I only suggested the way I did as your tank is 6x2x2 so even dividing off 12" length would give you 1x2x2 which is equivalent or close to a 20 gallon tank size

Nice one ricmcc, but I think your wife may know of you smuggling, a good wife knows everything, lol and I don't need to smuggle, my husband has no quarms with my fish addiction and only asks that when we move into a house we own if we can also go back to cockatiels (which is another thing I got him addicted to and was sad when we had to give up)
You just fill the10g about 90% full, secure it with a clothes peg or basically anything, and there you are.
Re: the cockatiels, I can loan you a nice cockatoo, if you don't mind a bird that looks like an Arctic owl but slightly larger, and can eat a chesterfield in about 5 minutes. She is a sweetheart, though, think there is a pic of her on my home page. She likes to lay in laps and get patted.
I know that your Hubby does support your aquarium habit, and so does my wife to mine, just to a lesser degree; still, I maintain smuggling is more fun, and a skill that should be maintained against future need.
And I do have a funny cockateil story for you involving escape, rescue, her being held as hostage, and finally released to us after after the kidnapper had had her blessed in the abductor's church-seriously weird story, even by my standards--I will PM you with details. All the best, rick.

Top Bottom