Rummy-nose Tetras Behavior Questions

David593

Yesterday, I just got 5 Rummy-nose Tetras. (5 more to come in a wekk and a half) They seem to be doing good. Their noses are on the pinker side, but I guess it is due to being in a new home.

Ammonia and nitrite at 0.
Nitrate at about 10.
Ph about 6.0

I just have a few question about these fish just to make sure I know how to do everything right:

~They are stayin right near the bottom of the tank. Is that normal? I thought they would occupy the middle area.
~What is the best way to feed them, and what should I feed them? I have regular flake food and some toher stuff.

Thanks. Just double checking so that I can make sure that they make it through the first week.

krismoore888

I ould let them ajust as they have jst ben moved, you wil notice them exploring oon enoug if all is well, I feed my bloodfins a mix o flake and frozen SMALL bloodworm. keep us updated and post a photo if youcan

lew2000

I have 12 rummynose for approximately 2 years. They school at the bottom of the tank in between the plants. My understanding of fish like these from researching, is that since these are prey fish, they swim close to the bottom and near plants/rocks/etc., and school of course, to prevent predation. They tend to school toward the front of the tank - and go from one end to the other after the light has been on for awhile.

As for feeding, since I have a community tank, whatever I am feeding, I crumble some up into fine pieces for them. I also use HakirI micro-pellets.

David593

ok. I have the flake food and I try to crumble them then wet them so that they sink. Its frustrating when I am feeding them at one side of the tank and then they decide to sprint to the other side right before the flakes reach them. I'll try to get some pics for you Krismoore888

lew2000

All of my fifh seem to do that -no matter what feeding startegy I come up with. LOL

David593

ya. I can't even get a decent pic. They move too much. LOL their color is starting to show more.

Regal

I have had my Rummy Nose for around a year now and really enjoy them. Mine tend to stay closer to the bottom too. They just zip zap back and forth across the tank all the time. They are always together and really fun to watch. They eat flake food and anything else that makes it past my Angelfish lol. Once they settle in their red color will come out.

David593

Ya, mine zip back and forth constantly. I have bnoticed that when I feed them, they seem to take the flake and then spit it back out. It seems like they don't like the food.

krismoore888

as far as I know that's normal, my bloodfins do that as well as my redtailed shark, I'm not sure why, but usually they go back for it over and over, maybe a more experienced member can say why, but I wouldnt worry. have you tryed live or frozen bloodworm, mine love it

David593

Well I have like frezze-dried bloodworm and brine shrimp. How to I feed them that. All of it floats and they NEVER go to the top. Is there a way to feed them those. Heres a list of food I have

~Fish granules (sinking pellet-like food)
~Fish flakes
~Freeze dried brine shrimp
~Freeze dried blood worms
~Shrimp pellets

krismoore888

try defrosting them, I have butterfly fish that bbite into the cubes and break it up so it sinks, I don't know about the granules or pellets, I don't use them personally. also try some live bloodworm, see if they eat them, in england they are only £1 a bag

David593

Ok. and also they are freeze dried so they are not frozen. Also currently the rummynose ar the only inhabitants so there are no top dwellrs to break it down.

krismoore888

in that case try some live foods, but don't over feed, if you have been trying a lot of foods recently there may be a lot of waste, so your water levels might not be great, test your water again, leave feeding for a day and then try again

krismoore888

the blood worm come in a bag of 'water' most suggest to drain it first, personally I don't but I imagine it would be safer to do, good luck, ill check back tomorrow, its 1:15am here, time for sleep

David593

Thanks. I guess I don't have the kind of bloodworms your thinking of. They were origionally for my betta fish. They would float and he would judt go to the surface and eat them. They just come in a container. They are not the kind that need to be refrigerated or frozen. No worries though, I don't need to feed them those.

Thanks
P.S. I heard that a lot of rummy-nose teras seem to spit out their food. I guess they will eat if they are really hungry. They dart stright to it when I put it in.

krismoore888

ok, yeh they do, as do quite a few others, so long as hey seem healthy

David593

well they are a nice shade of red in the nose. Pretty good for only the first 3 days or so.

krismoore888

good good

bettafish2816

yeah, you have freeze dried bloodworms. if you can find them, frozen bloodworms are great, and as mentioned above you should defrost them before putting them in. generally my fish get either flakes/wafers (community tank) or pellets (bettas) but about once a week I give them bloodworms and once a week I fast them as well. hope that helps, and good luck!

David593

Ok. I will go out and see what my lfs's have to offer.

Regal

Mine eat everything that I put in the tank. Flakes, tetra crisps, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

David593

Cool! Mine are starting to eat them more. I always find them picking at my pleco's food. they seem to like it. LOL

Nic pics by the way

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom