Rummy nose tetra

wtusa1783

Went to my lfs today and saw they had rummy nose tetras. I was looking for them for my 29 gallon. They said they hadn’t got any since October. Anything I should now before picking them up tomorrow? I’m thinking about getting 8 of them.

GlennO

You haven't completed your aquarium details so it's difficult to provide any specific advice in relation to your setup and tankmates but generally speaking rummies are schooling fish like any other tetra and require similar conditions. They are quite active and do appreciate plenty of swimming room. 29g is sufficient depending on what else you have in there.

Nick72

Most Tetra have a difficult time adjusting to new tank conditions - ie. moving from the LFS to your tank.

Rummynose Tetra are the most sensitive fish I've come across in terms on new tank adjustment.

While I'm happy to drop most fish straight into my tank, it is essential that you drip acclimate Rummynose first.

To do this you need 2 meters of airline, two suction cups that can clip to the airline, a flow control value and a bucket / container. (this is all very inexpensive, and most LFS's will sell them).

When you get the Rummy's home, put them, along with the water they came in, into your water container / bucket.
Place this on the floor next to your aquarium.

Run the airline from your aquarium to the bucket, using the suction cups to hold it in place.

Put the flow control valve on the end of the airline that reaches your bucket.

Open flow control to fully open.

Suck on valve to produce siphon affect.

Adjust valve to 1 drip per second.

Leave for 6 hours.

At this point your Rummy's will be well used to your aquarium water.

Catch each Rummy in a net and transfer to aquarium.

Important - do not pour the water from the bucket into your aquarium.

wtusa1783

Nick72 said:
Most Tetra have a difficult time adjusting to new tank conditions - ie. moving from the LFS to your tank.

Rummynose Tetra are the most sensitive fish I've come across in terms on new tank adjustment.

While I'm happy to drop most fish straight into my tank, it is essential that you drip acclimate Rummynose first.

To do this you need 2 meters of airline, two suction cups that can clip to the airline, a flow control value and a bucket / container. (this is all very inexpensive, and most LFS's will sell them).

When you get the Rummy's home, put them, along with the water they came in, into your water container / bucket.
Place this on the floor next to your aquarium.

Run the airline from your aquarium to the bucket, using the suction cups to hold it in place.

Put the flow control valve on the end of the airline that reaches your bucket.

Open flow control to fully open.

Suck on valve to produce siphon affect.

Adjust valve to 1 drip per second.

Leave for 6 hours.

At this point your Rummy's will be well used to your aquarium water.

Catch each Rummy in a net and transfer to aquarium.

Important - do not pour the water from the bucket into your aquarium.
Ok Im definitely drip acclimating them. I’ve heard people say to just let the tank water fill up as much as the water from the bag, take 50% out then add another 50% of tank water. Will this work?

Nick72

wtusa1783 said:
Ok Im definitely drip acclimating them. I’ve heard people say to just let the tank water fill up as much as the water from the bag, take 50% out then add another 50% of tank water. Will this work?
As long as you are dripping the water in over several hours, and not adding the water, then yes, that sounds like it will work.

I've used the method I described above, it is really easy, and takes no effort once you have the right equipment.

wtusa1783

Nick72 said:
As long as you are dripping the water in over several hours, and not adding the water, then yes, that sounds like it will work.

I've used the method I described above, it is really easy, and takes no effort once you have the right equipment.
Ok thanks

Latest threads

Top Bottom