Rummy nose tetra vs. Bloodfin tetra

aqua14
I've narrowed it down to just 2 fish for one of my main schooling species. Right now I have 4 Bloodfins in my 16 gallon and I just love them, I'm debating if I should rather put my fish in my 16 gallon and put them in my 75.

But I just love rummy noses as well as bloodfins.

Do you guys have any personal preferences on one of these fish?
- Which one schools better
- Peaceful-ness
- Colors.

pirahnah3
I would put the bloodfins in the 75 and up the school a few and put the rummys in the 16, but that's just me. I have wanted to have bloodfins and hopefully in the not too distant future I will. At my LFS the bloodfins school very well but I can't say what they would do in a home aquarium where they are a lot more comfortable.

Coryboy21
RUMMY-NOSE!!!!they are way more colorful

psalm18.2
Can you have both?

chrisb01
I have had both, and I love both, tough decision. I'd probably get both.

aqua14
Would they school if I added, lets say 8 more of them. I don't know if the new fish will school with them though.

I'm just thinking between the rummy's and the blood fins, I love the ones from my 16 gallon and they would love the the open space in the 75. I'm also basically gonna re-design the layout the tank... So I'm thinking of a new aquascape.

I was thinking of getting 12-16 bloodfins or rummy's and getting a smaller species of schooling fish too. Possibly glowlights, neons, cardinals, or some smaller fish like that.

Coryboy21
Well,tetras do school with newcomers but it really depend on their mood.

jerilovesfrogs
out of all the tetras I have owned, the bloodfins school the most, and most often. they are very active and play all the time. true, maybe not quite as colorful as rummies, but still very pretty. I have 9 in my 26g....they are pretty tight, and hang on the lower levels most often. =]

aqua14
Yeah, I really don't want to get rid of my bloodfins. I've had them from the start, and I've read that bloodfins can live up to 10 years!
They have a cool coloration, a little blue shine around they're mid-body.

I was also wondering if it would be okay to up the school of my hatchets, they don't usually school which I don't like at all
They sometimes attack each other which may be bad I'm not sure.
I actually want to get rid of them.

and would you think 14 as a school would be fine for the bloodfins?

jerilovesfrogs
so are you going to be keeping the bloods in the 16, or 75? well, since they are so active....I would say if you have 14 of them, the 75 would be better. maybe rehome the hatchets, and put a lot of bloodfins in there. you could have like 20 of them.

supernaut06
I have ten rummies in my 60 and most of the time they're schooling and as others have mentioned they have great color. But I love bloodfins too so tough call.

aqua14
Would this work?

re-home hatchets.

Get 12 KuhlI loaches
14 Bloodfins or Rummy-noses
16+ Cardinals or Neon's
2 Bolivian rams M/F, not sure?
1 or 2 Angelfish M/F, not sure?

jerilovesfrogs
I think 12 kuhlis would be ok in there. not completely sure of their size though. the tetras are fine.... you can do 2 bolivians, no matter what the sex in that size tank. there should be enough room that everyone is happy. I have 2 in my 75g.

the angels I think are a different story. I think just one would be a good idea. if you get a male and a female they could become aggressive if they breed. I just put one calico angel in mine too =] he/she is very friendly and loves to beg for food...and i've only had it a week.

aqua14
I might just leave the angels out. I really don't have any experience with them and since I will have small fish and I do have babies I don't want them getting eaten.

It would be between the bolivian ram's, Apisto's and german blue's.

jerilovesfrogs
I wouldn't consider the GBRs. they are very inbred and come from weak stock, and usually die. I had two that didn't last that long at all. it wasn't worth it. but the other two would be ok

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom