Rummy Nose Tetra Question

ATShells
Hello everyone!
About a week ago, I purchased 10 young RN tetras. And within 6 days, 9 have passed.
Rough stuff, right?
My thoughts are that he fish were severely stressed in the first place. I bought them the same day they pet store got them. So they went through a lot of transport and acclimation all at once.
I lost one before I got home and a second was near death when I put them in. Another couple died by the next morning.
Since you all will ask...my water temp is 77° and ph is 7.2ish. Ammonia and nitrites are 0, with nitrates not even reading fully on the first color indicator of my test strip.
It is a 75 gallon with a moderate amount of plants. There are 4 young angels, 4 zebra danios, 8 cherry barbs and 1 Albino rainbow shark.
Does it sound like either a "bad batch" or too much stress all at once, or is there an underlying problem perhaps?
Any and all help appreciated!

SethRC225
I agree, it probably was just stress that killed them, but how did you acclimate you RNT's? When acclimating new fish to a tank you should always leave the tank lights off until the fish feel comfortable to come out, or else they can stress more, and potentially die.

aquatickeeper
Have you acclimated them? Test strips are generally reliable, so I suggest API Freshwater Master Test kit.

Also, zebra danios need to be in a minimum of 6, I would get at least 2 more of them

ATShells
I acclimated them by floating the bag for 20 minutes. After that I dumped some of the water out and put some of my water in. Waited another 15 minutes. Did that two more times. All done with the lights off and then left the lights off the rest of the evening.
And a note on the danios, I know they do better with a slightly larger group, but the fish store only had 4 short fin danios when I bought them. Although it is my overlook to not purchase any more since.

SethRC225
ATShells said:
I acclimated them by floating the bag for 20 minutes. After that I dumped some of the water out and put some of my water in. Waited another 15 minutes. Did that two more times. All done with the lights off and then left the lights off the rest of the evening.
And a note on the danios, I know they do better with a slightly larger group, but the fish store only had 4 short fin danios when I bought them. Although it is my overlook to not purchase any more since.
When you acclimate them like that, there will be a large Ammonia spike in there, due to the chemical reactions occurring in the air. So put an Ammonia detoxifier in there to help out the fish.

ATShells
I treated the tank with the appropriate dose of conditioner that says it detoxifies ammonia...should have included that in my post!

aquatickeeper
In my opinion, acclimating for 20 minutes isn't enough

SethRC225
Some people acclimate for days, or even weeks. Like aquatickeeper was saying 20 minutes is barely anything. I usually acclimate for about 1-2 hours, though I should probably do it a little longer.

ATShells
The 20 minutes was only for temp acclimation. There was an additional 45+ minutes of acclimation following. I understand that's still less than what you're saying, but this is how I've acclimated all of my fish in all 3 of my aquariums. This is the first time I've ever experienced this kind of loss (outside of Neon tetras, but I've never had luck with them).
So SethRC225 and aquatickeeper, you both think this is a case of me doing too short an acclimation vs the fish going through two transports/acclamations in one day?

SethRC225
ATShells said:
The 20 minutes was only for temp acclimation. There was an additional 45+ minutes of acclimation following. I understand that's still less than what you're saying, but this is how I've acclimated all of my fish in all 3 of my aquariums. This is the first time I've ever experienced this kind of loss (outside of Neon tetras, but I've never had luck with them).
So SethRC225 and aquatickeeper, you both think this is a case of me doing too short an acclimation vs the fish going through two transports/acclamations in one day?
No, I think they just died from an overload of stress from the shipping (as you were saying). I don't think the acclimation killed them, I think that it might have helped if you did it for longer.

ATShells
Ok. I'll keep that in mind the next time I make a fish purchase!
Thank you for your input! Was very disappointing to lose them, as I was very much looking forward to enjoying them school!

SethRC225
Well hopefully you have better luck next time, and good luck with the other RNT's!

ATShells
Got a new batch of RNT in today, hoping to have better luck with these guys!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom