Rummy Nose Tetra, quarantine?

H2Opets

So my LFS just got in a new batch of RNT, around 20 or so. I went to check them out last night, little guys.
So in total I would like 8-10 in my 20L. Is there an issue with me buying and putting in my aquarium all at once? Or shouldI only be buying 4-5 and allowing them to settle for a week then the remainder ?
also meds, these will be the first fish I have put in the aquarium. The LFS said they come from where they get them in a bag with meds.
do I still need to dose them in the aquarium ?

johnbirg

I hope 20L means 20 gallon long. If it does then you can have 10 rmt's.

H2Opets

Yes 20 long
Would there be an issue adding all 8-10 at once ?
could that create a bad ammonia spike ? Unsure with them being so small.

saltwater60

I personally wouldn’t add rmt to a 20 gallon. I have a 75 and they use the entire tank and are super active. I feel they need a 4ft tank.
If you do get them and add them all at once is tour tank cycled? Yes it will probably cause a cycle and your ammonia go rise a bit.

H2Opets

Think think a 20 long is too small for maybe 8?

saltwater60

H2Opets said:
Think think a 20 long is too small for maybe 8?
It’s not that 8 is better than 10 because of the tank size I just watch mine swim and they use my entire front pane and side panes of glass on my 75 gallon tank. I just feel that they won’t be happy and will be stressed. This is just my opinion for my observations on the 10 fish I have. There are plenty of sites that say 20 gallon minimum for tummy’s. I’m just saying this is something to consider.

chromedome52

Ten in a long 20 will work just fine. Give them more space, they will use more space. In the wild they don't really stay in a small area, they move around much more than 4 feet, so by your theory they need a small river to occupy. So long as they school, they are fine. If a tank is too small for them to move around, then you have a space problem.

H2Opets

Do I need to medicate the first fish and quarantine it from bringing anything into newly cycled tank?
Or just adding it and observe the fish

JettsPapa

You certainly don't need to quarantine the first fish since the new tank will essentially serve the same purpose. There are differing opinions about medicating. Some people, such as Cory McElroy from Aquarium Co-op, recommend medicating all new fish. Others say they see no point in medicating fish that may be perfectly healthy.

saltwater60

JettsPapa said:
You certainly don't need to quarantine the first fish since the new tank will essentially serve the same purpose. There are differing opinions about medicating. Some people, such as Cory McElroy from Aquarium Co-op, recommend medicating all new fish. Others say they see no point in medicating fish that may be perfectly healthy.
I don’t medicate unless I see an issue. I’ve bought hundreds of fish and have rarely had to medicate due to disease.

H2Opets

So much to think about ! So this is my first fish tank, and who would of thought picking out rocks, driftwood, and plants would be so hard. Then picking out fish, I feel the need now for a fish room so I don’t need to worry about my fist I choose.

JettsPapa

H2Opets said:
So much to think about ! So this is my first fish tank, and who would of thought picking out rocks, driftwood, and plants would be so hard. Then picking out fish, I feel the need now for a fish room so I don’t need to worry about my fist I choose.
Yup. MTS sets in early sometimes.

saltwater60

H2Opets said:
Choosing fish is tough.

Amazoniantanklvr

agreed, 8-10 is fine.
you can add them all at once

H2Opets

Amazoniantanklvr said:
agreed, 8-10 is fine.
you can add them all at once
No need to worry about a huge ammonia spike issue ?
they look very young

oaktree

H2Opets said:
No need to worry about a huge ammonia spike issue ?
they look very young
You likely won't have to worry about an ammonia spike with such small fish. Over time, ammonia may seem to increase faster as they grow but they shouldn't cause a spike initially. Just keep up with water changes and you should be fine.

Dennis57

Yes you are fine adding 8-10 in the tank all at once. They do like to swim around a lot.

H2Opets

That’s good to know, thank you for the help

jake37

Just don't over feed; you are more likely to trigger a spike via over feeding the initial group then the actual fish. After a while slowly increase food while they are still eating it all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom