Rummy Nose Tetra Not Schooling/ Ich Disaster

shanshansmash

I bought 6 rummy nose tetra and one just keeps going off on his own. Is this normal?

mwsenoj

There’s always the rebellious one!

I’ve had the same thing with my zebra danios. Curious to see the replies.

smee82

Its normal. Fish usually only school for protection the safer they feel the less tight they will school.

shanshansmash

Is that ich I see?
You must be registered to see images

Tsin21

Is that ich I see?
You must be registered to see images
Looks like ich to me.

Fashooga

That probably explains why the fish isn’t schooling with the others. When there is something wrong with one of the fish in the school the others basically avoid or kicks the other fish out until it’s safe.

shanshansmash

I just got these so I’m wondering if I should return them instead of tearing apart my cannister filter

They all have the spots now that I look closer. I have kordon rapid cure so I could start treatment now

max h

I was going to say that once even one of the fish are introduced to the main tank with Ick, you need to treat the whole tank to get rid of the problem.

Angolangrl

Max H is correct... if one if the tank is infected all of them are. As far as rummy nose tetras they imo are the best and tightest schooling fish. To encourage them to school better larger schools help such as 10-20. Also having one slightly bigger fish which is *slightly* more aggressive helps. For example a torpedo barb / redline shark. Still there will be times they don't always school in tight formation or break off in two looser swiming groups.

FYI my rummy nose love having their type of food changed up especially between bug bite pellets, flake food and bloodworms. They don't seem to be a fan of shrimp. This also makes their "color" very strong - bright.

Also I would return them if possible but take a raincheck and once your tank is treated get new fish. just don't bring the new replacement fish home until your tank is treated.

shanshansmash

I already started treatment. They only take them back within 72 hours and I won’t have time so here’s to hoping

DoubleDutch

Why not simply keep the fish amd treat the whole tank.

shanshansmash

Well, I treated with kordons last night and then this morning my last guppy dropped a ton of fry. So I treated the tank again, added aquarium salt and prime to handle the ammonia. Going to pet smart to buy another heater and up the heat to 82. Anything else I’m missing guys?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HaileStorm
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Zniaz
Replies
Views