Rummy Nose Tetra Ich

Bills61

I recently posted about a blue ram possibly having Ich, but now I'm almost positive that my rummy nose tetra have it. 29 gallon planted tank, 82 F, 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate. I did a water change on Saturday and they all looked fine, I wasn't able to check on the fish on Sunday, and when I went to turn on the light this evening and all the rummy nose tetra are covered in white spots.

The blue ram and the dwarf gourami don't show any signs of white spots, but the ram seems less colorful. There's no way this is not Ich, right? What are the next steps? I already boosted up the heater a couple notches.

On a side note, there are two rummy nose tetra that act differently. One struggles to swim horizontaly and always swims with it's body at an upwards angle (about 45 degrees from the horizontal). The other one will randomly stop swimming, start to do a barrel role upside down, before correcting it's self and swimming straight again. Is this just swim bladder disorder or could it be something else?

I should also add that I don't have a carbon filter. I have 2 sponge filters, bio Max, and seachem purigen.

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_225219419_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20190128_225219419_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20190128_232936804.jpg
    IMG_20190128_232936804.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20190128_225123376.jpg
    IMG_20190128_225123376.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 97

M-Stokes

2 methods Heat or meds. For the Heat method you slowly raise the temperature to 86-88 degrees for 2 weeks, while adding extra air stones since higher heat will lower oxygen levels in the water. For medication method you use a product like rid ich plus, Ich-x, or tetra ick guard for atleast a week past the last visible ich spot is seen on your fish to ensure all parasites are killed. I can't give much help on your other sick fish other than to monitor their health and possibly euthanize using clove oil if they look too bad since most swim bladder problems are fatal.

Bills61

2 methods Heat or meds. For the Heat method you slowly raise the temperature to 86-88 degrees for 2 weeks, while adding extra air stones since higher heat will lower oxygen levels in the water. For medication method you use a product like rid ich plus, Ich-x, or tetra ick guard for atleast a week past the last visible ich spot is seen on your fish to ensure all parasites are killed. I can't give much help on your other sick fish other than to monitor their health and possibly euthanize using clove oil if they look too bad since most swim bladder problems are fatal.
Ok, thank you so much.

SeanyBaggs123

I just went through Ich for the first time and that's what it looks like to me. I Raised my heat to 84-86, and added a couple tablespoons of aquarium salt (filled a clean water bottle with tank water, added the salt, shook until the salt dissolved, poured the water back in the tank). Did a 20% water change, replacing the salt that I took out, weekly. I had four boesemanI rainbows and 6 tiger barbs. All but one survived. I've added 3 fish since. Everyone is doing fine

Bills61

I decided to use medication, specifically tetra ick guard. Each tablet is good for 10 gallons so I put in 2.5 for my 29 gallon tank.

I forgot to take out my seachem purigen out of my hob filter. Does this filter out the medication similar to carbon? The water does look a lot less blue than I anticipated, so that's why I ask.

During the treatment, should I do any water changes and remedicate?

M-Stokes

I decided to use medication, specifically tetra ick guard. Each tablet is good for 10 gallons so I put in 2.5 for my 29 gallon tank.

I forgot to take out my seachem purigen out of my hob filter. Does this filter out the medication similar to carbon? The water does look a lot less blue than I anticipated, so that's why I ask.

During the treatment, should I do any water changes and remedicate?
Yes remove the purigen, and do a 25% water change before each dose of meds.

Bills61

Yes remove the purigen, and do a 25% water change before each dose of meds.
Since I left the purigen in for a couple hours, do I need to add more ick guard?

M-Stokes

Since I left the purigen in for a couple hours, do I need to add more ick guard?
You should be water changing and redosing every 24 hours until atleast 3 days after the last spot is gone. Those should be the instructions on the box.

goldface

Good move on deciding to use meds over heat. Just follow the instructions. Can't go wrong doing that. Don't over think it.

Bills61

You should be water changing and redosing every 24 hours until atleast 3 days after the last spot is gone. Those should be the instructions on the box.
Ok, will do. All the instructions say is to add 1 tablet/10 gallons of water.

Is a foam filter in the hob going to remove meds? The foam is more blue than the water, that's why I ask.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
5 Gallon Tank Rummy-nose Tetra, Ich?
Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Wesley801