Rummy Nose Tetra Damaged Tail Important

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by ada6991, Apr 12, 2018.

1. a

ada6991 New Member Member

Hi

I had a rummy nose tetra get stuck under a pipe not sure how that happened but I couldn't see one so I looked all over the aquarium and there she was under a pipe (bubble wall piping thing). She was still alive thankfully and I got her out and I noticed she seemed stressed but her head was still red.
    She could have been there for like 2-3 hours.
    So now it has been 2 days since that happened and I noticed she still seemed stressed and just looks for quiet places in the tank.
    I also noticed that her tail is a bit damaged like the fins are split and it just doesn't look good will she be ok will the tail grow back??
    If I'll manage to take a photo I will post it here.

Is there anything I could do to help her??

2. OP
    OP
    a

Snapchat-1524036553.jpg

you can kinda see it here it looks totally ripped

3. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Ouch, the best thing you can do is too keep the water clean to prevent infection.

4. OP
    OP
    a

The water is clean and I isolated her from the rest so they wont bother her so she has her own space now but she really doesn't seem fine she looks like she wants to swim but she cant control how she swims that much.
    Anything I can do to make her better ?? Increase the chance of her surviving?

5. GlamCrab

Im sorry but i dont know, there isnt much else to do

6. OP
    OP
    a

So I made this think for her so she wont be bothered by other fish and so the water can still flow through it.
    She cometimes is swimming normally and sometimes with head down.
    I noticed her whole tail is missing but she still keeps swimming and ate a tiny bit.

I taught that other fish nibbed her tail but now im not sure cause after I put her in her enclosure she lost the rest of it. I dont think its fin rot cause it doesnt look like it and only she has it. Other fish are completely fine.

How do fins grow back and will her tail grow back??

Attached Files:

7. GlamCrab

Her tail might have gotten stuck and ripped off as the fish struggled to escape. It might grow back IF there's still some of it left.

8. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would monitor the fish carefully for the next couple of weeks and do a 50% WC 2-3 times a week.

Is the tank cycled?
    Temp?
    Ammonia?
    Nitrites?
    Nitrates?

9. OP
    OP
    a

I have the tank for about 4 months with fish and was cycled for a month before that
    Theres no ammonia and no or barely any nitrates and nitrites(always mix those up but one is always zero and other one is almost zero but still in safe range)
    I did a water change on Tuesday then i might do another one tomorrow.

I really hope it will grow back as she was one of my first rummy noses I got 2 at first and then I got another 3 and I think one of the new ones was bullying her after geting stuck under the pipe i saw it nibbling her few times as she didnt swim as fast.

I wish fish were like dogs and it was easier to help them. So bad that when something happens to a small creature like that its almost impossible to help it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice