Hello, I have a 80 liter community tank with the following species:
3 guppys (+babies that were just born)
5 rummy nose tetras
9 neon tetras
4 corydoras albino
6 mountain minnows
1 male veil tail betta
9 neocaridina shrimp (diff colors)
1 mistery snail, 1 zebra nerite, 5 ramshorn (babies, just born from some plant I brought or something)

Anyway, the rummy noses started attacking my betta. Its a planted aquarium but when the betta gets on open ground he gets chased and fin nipped into the plants where he hides most of the time but as soon as he comes out the rummy noses chase him. I know, 5 is not an ideal number but I really can't add more of them as its already overstocked... Problem is my mom won't let me get rid of them because she really loves these fish... So what can I do? People say 6 is a proper school, I doubt adding 1 more fish is gonna do anything about their aggressive behavior. Probably 10 more but I can't really do that. Is adding more plants good? I noticed they get distracted when I arranged filter in some way to create a strong current.
But then it quickly gets clogged and current slows down. I'm gonna get an external filter soon, I currently have 2 internal ones, (300 and 700L/h) but until then I have to do something about this. I think they're trying to mate, I notice some of them chase each other and like hug each other lol it's pretty fun to watch. But I think that might trigger some aggressiveness too??
If I swap the more aggressive ones (its usually the bigger guys) for different individuals, would it make any difference? I added the betta last. So doing the other way around should he stand his ground? He gets pretty scared of them at the moment... But he flared at the female guppy when I first introduced her. Don't really get this guy...
As for water parameters, ammonia 0,nitrate 10, nitrite 0,temperate 25.5c, 70x30x40 (centimeters), ph 6.7
Anyway thanks guys hope someone helps me out

Level99Fishing

I can't really help you much as I don't own a betta; maybe their tails look like dinner for rummynoses, who knows?

However, when I first got my rummynoses they nipped at each other heaps! None of them had undamaged tails and ventral fins for probably a month. The nipping has now stopped completely. Hopefully your ones will stop too after a few weeks when they realize the betta's tail is not food.

RomeoOscar

I can't really help you much as I don't own a betta; maybe their tails look like dinner for rummynoses, who knows?

However, when I first got my rummynoses they nipped at each other heaps! None of them had undamaged tails and ventral fins for probably a month. The nipping has now stopped completely. Hopefully your ones will stop too after a few weeks when they realize the betta's tail is not food.
Yeah hopefully it's normal behavior for unknown fish until they're familiar with each other. I notice the neon tetras do a lot of fin nipping at each other. The fins aren't damaged or ripped but they get bruised. The rummy noses calmed down a bit when I added plants in their territory, corner of the tank where they hang out mostly, when not swimming from one side of the tank to another... But they still chase the other guy though tolerate his presence more often.. Hopefully it'll calm down, I don't wanna stress him out too much. If it continues getting his fins ripped I might have to get him his own tank.

saltwater60

Likely your tank is over stocked and the long dangly fins are the target. I doubt it will stop. You have over 30 fish and shrimp in that tank. They don’t have any space. I have some danios in my tank that nip each other’s fins. They will be going back to the pest store since they do rip up each others fins.

RomeoOscar

Yeah I have to agree on that. I thought it could work, because rummy nose tetras usually hang out on left corner, and neons on the darker more planted, right corner. And these are the only species that compete for space, in mid level. The corys and guppys go all over the place. Though corys usually more at bottom. What if I reduce the school to 3? That's what I had initially and it seemed to work. and I thought 2 more would make them happier. Their behavior is pretty much the same, always school, either at that corner, or swimming all over the tank pretty fast from one side to the other, pretty cool to watch, they're a tight school. Except that they now are agressive.. The betta doesn't bother anyone he just sticks to himself and chasing guppy babies for food other than that he just explores the tank without bothering anyone

saltwater60

Schools of 6-10 are recommended for schooling fish. I just got some schooling danios and I got 7. I wished I’d have gotten 10. I’ll likely run back and get 3 more. So a school of three is not best for their long term health. It can work but it’s stressful to them. They school for safety. Less safe equals more stress and a shorter life span.
mid get rid of the guppies since they will constantly produce young and see how that goes.

RomeoOscar

The guppy babies are not an issue, I bought them precisely for babies. Just for a live snack for everyone. They had babies about 2 days ago and they're all gone now. Its fun to watch the babies for a while. And if any ever survive I'll donate them to lfs or some friends. But you're right. I don't wanna stress fish for not having them feel safe. They might stop attacking the betta but because they don't feel confident enough. Which is not good either. I'll have to either get the betta his own tank (I have a spare 20L) or donate the rummy nose tetras

saltwater60

The guppy babies are not an issue, I bought them precisely for babies. Just for a live snack for everyone. They had babies about 2 days ago and they're all gone now. Its fun to watch the babies for a while. And if any ever survive I'll donate them to lfs or some friends. But you're right. I don't wanna stress fish for not having them feel safe. They might stop attacking the betta but because they don't feel confident enough. Which is not good either. I'll have to either get the betta his own tank (I have a spare 20L) or donate the rummy nose tetras
That’s a god plan. I’d just move the betta and see what happens then.

e_watson09

Unfortunately you're extremely over stocked. I'd rehome the rummy nose tetras, they are competing for space that your tank just doesn't have.

I'd also rehome the albino cories and get a smaller variety and more of them (6+). Get pygmy or panda varieties as albinos generally get big. Down the road you may also need to look into rehoming your mystery snail as they're pooping machines but for now its probably ok

RomeoOscar

Yeah the cories are still small but I've seen gigantic ones like large and fat 7cm ones. It's my favourite fish, it breaks my heart to give them away, but its also sad that I can only keep 4 of them, they love to school and play with each other in the bubbles... I might just do that. Long term it's better. And yeah the mistery snail, definitely, he poops like crazy! Some poop are bigger than my neons lol I might have to swap for a smaller variety... Or just a younger one. I like how active he but this guy is also a plant killer, he'll go all over the plants, breaking leaves apart with its weight and then, oh well this leave is loose now might as well eat it lol

Edit: I'll keep the cories as they are small and will probably not grow much for the time being. And I really like them. I plan on getting a 200L tank around may or april so hopefully they can live happy till then. I'll double their school or triple when that happens

Thanks a lot for the tips guys!

RomeoOscar

Hello, gonna use this post to ask this question, as it is related, I am going to give away the rummy nose tetras, and I want to get a smaller fish with different habits so it doesn't compete for space with the others, I was thinking the ember tetra, small school, which are even known for schooling with neon tetras which would be cool. But what about the scarlet gem badis instead? I know they're semI schooling fish, was thinking maybe 1 male and 3 females? Do they get allong with bettas? My blue veil tail betta is perfectly fine with the other inhabitants, he flared and attacked a platy once who was promptly removed. Then for a couple mins at the female guppy, but now they get along just fine.. But since badis are all colorful and have nice long fins... Maybe it's not such good idea? Anyone has had any experience with these two?

DoubleDutch

Unfortunately you're extremely over stocked. I'd rehome the rummy nose tetras, they are competing for space that your tank just doesn't have.

I'd also rehome the albino cories and get a smaller variety and more of them (6+). Get pygmy or panda varieties as albinos generally get big. Down the road you may also need to look into rehoming your mystery snail as they're pooping machines but for now its probably ok
Uhhhh I'd stick to these Corys to be honest. They are slightly hardier towards pollution in general. That's more.important than their size in this case.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
JakeDfish
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views