Rummy nose swimming upside down etc before dying

WagglePets

So... I got these 2 rummy nose tetras from my lfs healthy as can Be or so I thought. This morning one was swimming upside down (like it couldn’t right itself) and bouncing off the gravel and then he died.. any help?

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate40

Blacksheep1

I’ve had limited success with rummynoses , despite them being one of my favourite tetras. I buy a group of 10, 3 die, I buy a group of 6, 2 die etc. they do better in larger groups being tetras obviously , so 2 is low. They are a lovely shoaling fish. but I’ll admit to keeping them going off website temps of 25c ish. They do better in a slightly warmer , although you’ll not likely find that info on most sites. Once I warmed my tank by 3c they have been doing a whole lot better .

I believe it was Cherryshrimp420 that gave me that info. Hope they don’t mind the tag :)

what’s your pH out of curiosity ?

WagglePets

I’ve had limited success with runny noses despite them being one of my favourite tetras. I buy a group of 10, 3 die, I buy a group of 6, 2 die etc. they do better in larger groups being tetras obviously , but I’ll admit to going off website temps of 25c ish. They do better in a slightly warmer , although you’ll not likely find that info on most sites.
My tanks at 80 f so it’s pretty warm

Blacksheep1

My tanks at 80 f so it’s pretty warm
I edited my above post , just so it doesn’t seem like I’m being strange hah.

can you provide more tank specs ? It could just be you’ve had weak stock which I know a lot of people seem to experience with rummy’s.

SparkyJones

how long since you picked them up and the death occurring? hours? days?

how did you acclimate the fish? did you acclimate the fish to temp and water parameters, or float the bag for temp and then dump in the fish?

Blacksheep1

I’ve acclimated them a ridiculously long time to a qt, kept them for 2 months happily in qt, then done the same acclimation to a same spec tank and have still lost fish. I know a lot of folk on here have the same issue’s with rummy’s , or they die within 48 hours of being brought home. I know you’re asking op , not me , but it does seem to be a recurring theme that’s either put down to either weak genetics or low temps, which op doesn’t seem to have.

more tank info would be ideal to help though , and 2 fish isn’t ideal for a social school. pH would be good to know as I asked before but full tank specs are more useful obv.

WagglePets

I’ve acclimated them a ridiculously long time to a qt, kept them for 2 months happily in qt, then done the same acclimation to a same spec tank and have still lost fish. I know a lot of folk on here have the same issue’s with rummy’s , or they die within 48 hours of being brought home. I know you’re asking op , not me , but it does seem to be a recurring theme that’s either put down to either weak genetics or low temps, which op doesn’t seem to have.

more tank info would be ideal to help though , and 2 fish isn’t ideal for a social school. pH would be good to know as I asked before but full tank specs are more useful obv.
I can check the ph in a little while I’m glad some others had troubles with there rummys too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Rich G
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views