Rummy nose mysteriously dying

Guppykid101
So I have a 29 bowfront with 10 harlequins and 6 rummy nose (used to be 10). I found 4 dead today, a couple hidden in plants and obviously dead for a day or two. But no odd signs, no ich, no bloating, just dead, and the other rummy's aren't super red on the nose..I do water changes every other day and the harlequins are a-okay. I recently put in cuttlebone for my 4 nerites but that couldn't be the cause right? What's going on?

el337
I doubt the cuttlebone would be the cause. What are your water parameters? How long have you had them?

DrSahl
Usually if their noses are not bright red something is wrong with the water parameters.

Secoundly if they are newly added it might just be that you are unlucky, they tend to die pretty easily when first added to a new tank (that's why many buy more than they want)

I would do a partial water change right away and test the water.

But remember that if you change to much water that can also hurt your tank.

Guppykid101
DrSahl said:
Usually if their noses are not bright red something is wrong with the water parameters.

Secoundly if they are newly added it might just be that you are unlucky, they tend to die pretty easily when first added to a new tank (that's why many buy more than they want)

I would do a partial water change right away and test the water.

But remember that if you change to much water that can also hurt your tank.
It is a new tank, but I let it cycle as well as using seeded media. I tested when I found the 4 and water changed immediately but the parameters are perfect, no ammonia no nitrites and nitrates are in a safe zone as well...are they just not very hardy? Possibly a bad batch from the fish store?

Al913
Well if you added all the fish at once which is a total of 16 fish you could have ruined the cycle. This is why when adding fish and you have a couple of schools or just 2 schools add the first school and then 1-2 weeks later add the next. Rummy-nose tetras are sensitive fish although once they establish themselves they are good to go. Adding all that fish at once could have stress them causing them to die. What kind of testing did you use?

Guppykid101
Al913 said:
Well if you added all the fish at once which is a total of 16 fish you could have ruined the cycle. This is why when adding fish and you have a couple of schools or just 2 schools add the first school and then 1-2 weeks later add the next. Rummy-nose tetras are sensitive fish although once they establish themselves they are good to go. Adding all that fish at once could have stress them causing them to die. What kind of testing did you use?
I added them to the tank over 3 weeks, and nothing electronic or special, just the test strips you dip in the water

el337
I would get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit as strips are extremely inaccurate. How did you cycle it? Did you do a fish-in cycle? Having the actual number for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate would help rule out any water quality issues.

Al913
Agree! Test strips aren't the best way, suggest in getting the API Master Kit. It is very hard to see whether your tank was actually cycled using the numbers from the test strips.

Latest threads

Top Bottom