Rummy nose becoming slow and dying one a day

gltorres

Member
Hello,
I have a 60 gallon tank with two marineland 350 filters. Water test look normal water levels. Currently, I have one large angel, one bristle nose pleco, 6 corydoras, and added 18 rummy nose tetras 10 days ago. The tetras show bright colors and active in a tight school during the day but for the past 7 days one of them separates from the school (or can't keep up) and acts slow and hides. Soon after I find it dead on the filter. This typically happens in the morning when I turn the lights on and see that one isn't with the school. I can't see any ick and the other fish in the tank aren't showing any signs of stress or behaving differently. Any ideas or guidance as to what to check?


thank you!
 

Madchild57

Member
gltorres said:
Hello,
I have a 60 gallon tank with two marineland 350 filters. Water test look normal water levels. Currently, I have one large angel, one bristle nose pleco, 6 corydoras, and added 18 rummy nose tetras 10 days ago. The tetras show bright colors and active in a tight school during the day but for the past 7 days one of the separates from the school (or can't keep up) and acts slow and hides. Soon after I find it dead on the filter. This typically happens in the morning when I turn the lights on and see that one isn't with the school. I can't see any ick and the other fish in the tank aren't showing any signs of stress or behaving differently. Any ideas or guidance as to what to check?


thank you!
Did you quarantine the tetras before? Sometimes fish just have weak genetics and something in the tank will get to them shortly after being added and they'll die.
 

Dechi

Member
How long has your tank been going ?
 
  • Thread Starter

gltorres

Member
Dechi said:
How long has your tank been going ?
Hi,
The tank was started in January and the first fish went in in March.

Thank you
 
  • Thread Starter

gltorres

Member
Madchild57 said:
Did you quarantine the tetras before? Sometimes fish just have weak genetics and something in the tank will get to them shortly after being added and they'll die.
Hi,
I only kept them separate in a 10 gallon tank for about 2 days before adding them.

Thank you
 

Madchild57

Member
gltorres said:
Hi,
I only kept them separate in a 10 gallon tank for about 2 days before adding them.

Thank you
Yeah its very possible it was weak from the store or wherever you got them and something in your tank got to it in the < 2 weeks that you had them
 
  • Thread Starter

gltorres

Member
Madchild57 said:
Yeah its very possible it was weak from the store or wherever you got them and something in your tank got to it in the < 2 weeks that you had them
Thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on them and hope the ones left make it. Right now they all seem active and are feeding but then again, this was the case for most of the time I was watching them.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom