Rummy nose acclimation

Arrow1oo

So I'm buying about 10 rummy nose tetras soon and I've read they're kind of sensitive fish. My tank is 55 gallons, no aggressive fish are in the tank, tank is cycled and ammonia/nitrite is 0.

Plant is newly planted so I have root tabs and have dosed 1/5th of the recommended thrive all in one fert just to see how it goes.

How should I acclimate these guys best as I'd like to avoid deaths before I get home. I've heard from some videos that with LFS fish Im best using these typical steps:

1. Float to acclimate temp (keep tank dark)
2. Add water to bag and continue to float
3. Add more water and let float
4. After an hour net them out and put them in tank

I've been aware of drip acclimation but I don't necessarily have the tools for it yet, I'd love some help

Sleepyflea

Arrow1oo said:
So I'm buying about 10 rummy nose tetras soon and I've read they're kind of sensitive fish. My tank is 55 gallons, no aggressive fish are in the tank, tank is cycled and ammonia/nitrite is 0.

Plant is newly planted so I have root tabs and have dosed 1/5th of the recommended thrive all in one fert just to see how it goes.

How should I acclimate these guys best as I'd like to avoid deaths before I get home. I've heard from some videos that with LFS fish Im best using these typical steps:

1. Float to acclimate temp (keep tank dark)
2. Add water to bag and continue to float
3. Add more water and let float
4. After an hour net them out and put them in tank

I've been aware of drip acclimation but I don't necessarily have the tools for it yet, I'd love some help
I dont use drip acclimation especially with freshwater. Last time i did i had 4 fish die. I float them for 5 minutes at most and then immediately pour them out into a net over a bucket and drop them in the tank. Havent had any deaths since using this method. But ive had fish die from drip acclimation. Maybe the mixing of 2 waters at 2 different temps shocks them or something? Idk

Arrow1oo

Sleepyflea said:
I dont use drip acclimation especially with freshwater. Last time i did i had 4 fish die. I float them for 5 minutes at most and then immediately pour them out into a net over a bucket and drop them in the tank. Havent had any deaths since using this method. But ive had fish die from drip acclimation.
Interesting, so you skip the adding water to bag as well. Do you get your fish a LFS or online?

Sleepyflea

Arrow1oo said:
Interesting, so you skip the adding water to bag as well. Do you get your fish a LFS or online?
Yes i allways skip adding my tank water to their bag water. You never know what was in their tanks. I buy locally and online and really never had a bad experience just throwing them in.

Sleepyflea

Forgot to mention i got a parasite from petsmart doing that once. Dont mix waterss!!!

Arrow1oo

Sleepyflea said:
Forgot to mention i got a parasite from petsmart doing that once. Dont mix waterss!!!
Yea I know not to mix their water into mine, I was saying I add some of my water to the bag so they get used to the pH and hardness and all that. I don't believe that causes any cross contamination with the fish.

Sleepyflea

Arrow1oo said:
Yea I know not to mix their water into mine, I was saying I add some of my water to the bag so they get used to the pH and hardness and all that. I don't believe that causes any cross contamination with the fish.
Well i was a noob and literally just dumped the entire bag in my tank. Just now got rid of that nasty intestinal parasite. Just be carefull and good luck.

Arrow1oo

Sleepyflea said:
Well i was a noob and literally just dumped the entire bag in my tank. Just now got rid of that nasty intestinal parasite. Just be carefull and good luck.
Ahh i see, I'm still a noob too but I literally barrage this forum everyday with questions so I appreciate everyone's help including you. Thanks

goldface

I've always just dropped fish in the tank without any acclimation. Didn't bother with temperature acclimation either, as long as both waters were reasonably close in temperature.

Donthemon

Agree as above.Temp is the important thing. So I would float for ten to fifteen minutes and in they go. None of the bag water In the tank though.

MacZ

I temp acclimate and drop them in if I know the parameters match. If I know the store has e.g. 8pH and I have 6.4, I cup acclimate in a bucket.
Just keep the store water away from my tanks.

Top Bottom