Rummy Cannibalism??

Langy

recently I noticed that one of my three rummy's was quite a bit smaller than my other 2. I kept checking him and he seemed to be getting skinnier and skinnier. when it was feeding time he mostly wouldn't eat, if he did it would have been 1 or 2 flakes.

Then just the other night my dad and I couldn't find him. I have searched the tank high and low but he was nowhere to be seen. could it be he has died and the other rummies have had a feast?

Also I'm thinking I might get another 2 rummy's to put back in the tank, would it be advisable to get some that are roughly the same size as the remaining 2?

cheers!

Jonah

Any fish is likely to eat a dead tankmate, but it is far more likely that the carcase is just well hidden in the tank. I would try to find it and remove it from the tank to stop it decaying and casuing an ammonia spike.

As for adding additional Rummys I would add at least 3 and probably 4 to make them up to a small school as they will be happier that way.

Even without the extra Rummys though you will be pushing the bio-load in your tank the BN although a small fish (comparatively) is a big waste producer and is not really recommended for tanks as small as 10gals. Can you give him a bigger tank (20gal)? or could you rehome him?

Looking at your aquarium info is your tank still about 1month old? has it completed cycling and do you have readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate in the tank you may have water issues which affected your rummy

Langy

hmmm okay I'll take another look. but I searched for a fair while and couldn't find any remains, and there isn't a lot of room in a 10g. lol. the remaining rummy's are quite happy still, they school with my neons.

by "BN" I take it your talking about the Bristle Nose catfish? yer he is a waste producer alright, I was thinking about maybe rehoming him, but I do like him a fair bit. he's suprisingly still small, for what I was told will grow quite quickly. is there any other type of bottom feeder/cleaner I could get that wouldn't produce so much waste?

cheers!

Jonah

You already have khulis in there who are excellent bottom cleaners what the BN gives you that they don't is algae cleaning. You could replace him with 3 or 4 Oto catfish which are great cleaners and very small bioload. (otocinculus catfish)

bettafish2816

for your tank i'd remove the kuhlI loach and the BN pleco, the kuhlI loach needs to be in groups of 3 at a bare minimum, and you really don't have room for that in your ten gallon since you already have 5 neons. it may be better for you to just remove the rummynose as well, because just the six neons will have you pretty fully stocked and you would need to add at least 4 more for a full school. you might be able to get three otos or three corycats with the 6 neons (one additional for a full school).

i'd make sure to do a thorough gravel vacuum of the tank, it's possible (unless you have sand substrate) that his body may have gotten buried

Top Bottom