Ruh-roh! Tank Seems To Have Crashed Again. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Professor Catfish, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Professor Catfish

Professor CatfishNew MemberMember

I'm sort of beyond myself as to what's happening by now.

Ammo 2ppm
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    PH - 7.6 - 7.8
    KH 89.5
    GH 35.8

I had a reading of Nitrates the other day with zero Ammonia and Nitrites. So I was convinced my tank was cycled or at its way there again.
    What's with the sudden crash? I have some driftwood fungus (the allegedly harmless white cloud type) on the piece settling in, my corys like to graze on it but its sort of started detaching and ends up settling on plants; like some sort of roaming ominous menace. Could this be the culprit? I'm going to go in on it with an algae scraper and see if I can get rid of it.

I don't even know how my few remaining shrimps are surviving under such harsh conditions :(

2. GirlFriday

GirlFridayValued MemberMember

I am sorry, I am too newb to help, but I could NOT let "roaming ominous menace" pass without a salute. =)

3. AdamS

AdamSValued MemberMember

Did you do anything to your filter? Change media? Clean it out?

4. OP
    OP
    Professor Catfish

Haha thanks for stopping by to comment on my wordiness :p

Oh crikey I did take out course sponge media that was falling apart something over a week ago. I doubted BB could survive in it :/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  5. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Other than the algae, is anything else changed? Dead fish or shrimp or snails? Super frustrating.

Have you tested your source water? Sometimes that can be a problem where it wasn’t before (my source water varies from 0 to >2.0 ammonia).

Are you following the guideline:
    If Ammonia + Nitrite = or > 1.0 do a large water change, dose with Prime & recheck in 24 hours.
    If Ammonia + Nitrite <1.0 dose with Prime & recheck in 24 hours.

6. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

that will do it, mate. those gross looking filter pads are FULL of media. i made the same mistake over new years by replacing 25% of my gross looking bio noods... CRASH! ammonia up to 2ppm, no nitrites (we still had nitrates though). did you leave any media in your tank??

get some bottled bacteria pronto and if it's ssomething like seachem prime, use a double or more dose!

Also, just checking, but did you shake the nitrAte bottle #2 for 30-45 seconds like (in the words of @aussieJJDude) "an angry bartender making a cocktail" for someone he hates? and did you then shake the test tube after adding 10 drops of bottle #2 in the same manner for at least a minute? i find it strange that your nitrates completely disappeared without (1) live plants or (2) massive and frequent water changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Professor Catfish

I've been using Prime daily, I will check my source water asap but it's never been a problem for my partners tank either. So far no casualties, maybe Ammo-lock gave me false readings. My tank is moderately planted and I've been doing 15 - 25% water changes daily.
    The angry bartender shaking method tip made me laugh, I'll be sure to do that to the bottles as well as the tubes from now on. Nitrates are still not registering at all, maybe the aforementioned tip will bring something up!
    I'm at about .50ppm ammo now which is a great improvement at least. Thanks for your response :)

8. OP
    OP
    Professor Catfish

I confused these two threads a little in my last post I hope the two of you get to view back!
    Your bio nood debacle sounds devastating, I think all the new media is settling in. I just panicked thinking all was lost and switched things out. Considering bio media can absorb and release the toxins back in the tank when they've had their fill I feared for the worst. Prior to this, I had a HUGE shrimp colony I lost when all of this started (lack of maintenance). That was a few weeks ago now and things are up and down.

On a positive note my water is looking crystal clear (fixed a clogged up filter flow) and my 3 cory cats, 2 ottos and a few remaining shrimp seem well.
    I honestly cannot believe my Oto cats have survived this with their sensitive nature, even their behaviour has been normal through ALL of this disaster. I must have lucked out with a strong lot from my favorite LFS.

9. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

what are you parameters today mate? if you swapped out all your old media, you're starting from scratch on your cycle. if not, then you may only have a mini cycle and be able to handle it better. sorry if i've gotten lost... also it's very good sign that your oto's are ok!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice