RUGF and landscape fabric

1. Phagan

Phagan Valued Member Member

I just had a bad week on my 55 gallon tank which had visible ammonia 0 nitrites but a whopping 40ppm nitrates. This were the results one week after a canister filter got cleaned fully. I am currently running two canister filters both of which are rated higher than my tank.

With the above mentioned issue I would like to install the supplied under gravel filter that came with my tank.(it is a planted tank now.) My issues isn't whether or not to use the filter it is actually about whether or not to use landscape fabric. Would it reduce the filters flow too much? I'd like to have both the plants and the reverse undergravel filter because the added filtration of both would be best.

Thanks and I'd love to hear any ideas anyone may have.
    [​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you don't mine my asking, why do you need to add another filter? Adding another filter won't reduce your nitrates - water changes are the best way to do this. I don't think you should add it, personally, especially since your tank is already setup and you have plants. Is that sand or gravel in your tank? Hard to tell.

3. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

On another note, nitrates at 40ppm after a week isn't exactly high.

4. OP
    OP
    Phagan

I don't need another filter I suppose. The substrate is caribsea floramax. I'm worried about it getting gas bubbles from having too deep of substrate. It's anywhere from 2-4 inches. Hence where I got the idea for an undergravel filter...

5. OP
    OP
    Phagan

Yes I could take out some of the gravel. I figured I could do less gravel syphoning with a rugf.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can stir the substrate when you do water changes (a chopstick would do!) or you could add Malaysian trumpet snails - they'll stir the substrate for you.

7. OP
    OP
    Phagan

I bought 20 malaysian trumpet snails to put in the tank. They are almost a full inch in size too. The chop stick trick should be enough.